Copyright © 2004 the Brewery History Society
On the Trail of the Phillips – Part 2
by Mike Brown
In 1881 James Henry Phillips, presumably Richard's fourth son, was a brewer living at 1 Manchester Street, Southampton All Saints. The census shows him as aged 52, born Highwater in Wilts, but this is probably yet another mistake for Highworth. Family:
|Curtisea Reed||51||born Southsea||wife|
|Kate Mary||23||Monid City, US||dau|
|Jessie Lou||21||Astoria, US||dau|
|James Hodgskin||18||Brooklyn, US||son|
|Stella Maud||16||Gt Yarmouth||dau|
Clearly a well-travelled man and we know other members of the family had also spent time in the US. I have yet to determine which brewery he was involved with at the time of the census and would be grateful for any ideas.
Then in 1897 Hinckesmans brewery at Shifnal was run by a Jas H Phillips and JH Phillips. Is this yet another coincidence or had the father and son moved again? One item which might help explain a possible move is some reference to the peerage! In 1819 Sir Thomas Phillips FRS FSA (born 1792), son of the late Thomas Phillips of Broadway Shifnal (died 1818), married the daughter of Lt Gen Sir Thomas Molyneux. She died in 1832, having produced at least one daughter -Henriette Elizabeth Molyneux. Although Sir Thomas married for a second time in 1842, when he was fifty, he does not seem to have had any further children. Hence, although his son-in-law in 1872 changed his name to James Halliwell-Phillips, a noted Shakespearian critic, when James's wife died in 1879, leaving one daughter, the name effectively died out.
Why this diversion into the aristocracy? Well Phillips, of Northampton and later NBC, until around 1900 owned Molineux, the home of Wolves. This can only have been from family inheritance. We also need to recall that the related Simpson family had links with Wolverhampton (see Part 1, Baldock).
Around May 1897, Sidney Phillips and William Walters were partners at the Lion Brewery in Totnes. Walters was previously the manager at the Royal Brewery in Windsor and prior to that a partner in the Original Brewery in Ashford (Note also Faringdon and Buckland). Sidney Phillips was described as of Newport (i.e. Thomas's fifth son); however, he retired from the Totnes concern in July 1900. Both the BTR and BJ of 1901 mention that the partnership was dissolved and "Sydney" died on 28th December 1903. Nevertheless, in 1921 Walter & Phillips were still listed at the Lion Brewery, so perhaps the family had retained an interest.
Sidney's nephew Reginald Maurice's address is variously shown as Bridport and Budleigh Salterton, which gives a slight possibility that he was involved with the Totnes Brewery. This would perhaps explain his limited involvement in the Newport business.
In 1889 Sumner Toms of the Chard Brewery in Frome died and his obituary mentions his sister Mrs Eliza Phillips.
In 1923 Charles James Phillips of 1 Eaton Square (of the Mortlake concern) was executor for George Crake of the Tamar Brewery.
In looking at the links, one should note that the Bicester branch of the family, at one time had a carrier business which went to London.
In 1761 John Phillips was a voter in Coventry, living in London. In 1802 a John was shown at Bow Brickhill (see Stony Stratford), with a William in London. In 1818 a Charles Phillips was in London with a vote in Coventry, but had possibly had returned to Coventry by 1820. This may have been in connection with the changes in ownership there.
Mathias (p197) states that Anthony Phillips of Wapping & Deptford was a brewing contractor for the Navy, as early as August 1696.
In 1800-05 Phillips & Co were brewing here, then at some point it became Phillips & Miall. In 1809 Samuel Miall was bankrupt, previously at the Star brewhouse Wapping.
It seems interesting that in 1808 David Phillips a broker of Golden Square was bankrupt. Then in 1809 J and John Phillips of Old City Chambers were bankrupt merchants. These may all represent the changes in the bankruptcy laws, together with general trade depression, but they may also have caused changes elsewhere.
One of the fascinations of the Phillips family is the number of connections with what became the Watney empire. This is obvious in the case of NBC, but there are numerous other aspects e.g. Trumans.
This is said to have been founded by John Morgan in 1487. This would make it the site with the longest continuous brewing operation in the country! There are Phillips links with a family of this name in later years.
In the early C19 it was owned by Topham & Kempson, trading as the Star Brewery, coincidentally the same name used for Wapping. John Kempson was a solicitor.
In 1815 James Phillips and James Blackhall Phillips were bankrupt ironmongers and coal merchants in Mortlake, whilst a "Phillips Phillips" was a bankrupt merchant in London. In 1818 James Phillips was a bankrupt coal merchant of Upper Eaton Street Pimlico. Lastly in 1823 we have Thomas Phillips a bankrupt victualler in the Strand.
Clearly it is not possible to determine the exact links, despite the importance of the locations and occupations. What we do know is that around this time John Phillips was a corn and coal merchant of Wilton Place, Knightsbridge. He was later joined by his sons Thomas and Charles (born around 1820).
Then in 1846 Charles [John] Phillips was at the Star brewery, previously Halford & Topham, as a result of the death of John Kempson.
In 1852 James Wigan took a half share. Wigan, from a family of hop merchants (b.1832), studied brewing at James Young & Dudley and at Neville Reid & Co at Windsor. NB a "Wiggins" family was at the Stag Brewery Pimlico in 1785. James and Charles each put up £15,000 to buy out the owner George Streater Kempson. Charles was living at The Cedars next to the brewery. They also bought the following:
|The Bull||East Sheen|
In 1855 Phillips & Wigan were listed at 9/10 Howley Place, Belvedere Road, Westminster to 1868 and later bought the Elephant Brewery, George Street, Portman Square. They held lucrative contracts for supplying beer to the Army in India. In 1867 CJ Phillips was Chairman of the Country Brewers Society, surprisingly he was also president of the Birmingham Retail Brewers Association.
In 1872 it was trading as Phillips & Wigan, but in 1876 Wigan bought Hawkes & Co of Bishops Stortford, in association with his son James Lewis Wigan and one of his nephews. Wigan is said to have journeyed around the world to explore the possibilities of establishing breweries overseas. He made commitments in New York, Johannesburg and Melbourne apparently without consulting Charles. However, given that several other members of the Phillips family were active in the US around this time (e.g. James Henry's children born in US), I think this unlikely. With the ending of the partnership Charles took his sons Charles James and Herbert into the business. Hence, for 1876-1889 the business traded as Phillips & Co. It was also shown at 65 George Street, Portman Square and 153 Grosvenor Road, Pimlico.
The 1881 census for The Cedars shows Charles J age 60 born Hanover Square. His son CJ Phillips aged 28 and also a brewer, was a visitor with the Chaplin family at S Luffenham Hall. CJ sen retired around this time and a new business More, Phillips & Co was formed.
In 1889 Phillips & Co Mortlake was merged/bought by Watneys of the Stag Brewery, Pimlico. J and Herbert Edward both joined the Watney Board after the take-over. In July 1898 Charles James Phillips jun was the MD, but apparently lost his active role as part of a management clearout, after the formation of Watney Combe Reid.
Charles John Phillips of the Mortlake Brewery died aged 81, 21st July 1901. His sons: Charles James Phillips at Mortlake and deputy chairman in 1904 (1891 also Director of Bartholomews in Rochester US) and Herbert Edward Phillips of 21 Chesham Place.
In 1908 Charles James Phillips Esq DL JP was living at Old Dalby Hall, Melton Mowbray and 1 Eaton Sq London. In January 1925 CJ Phillips resigned as deputy chairman of Watneys and was succeeded by Sir Richard Garton; however, he retained seat on the board until 1927. On 14th October 1930 Charles James Phillips former Managing Director and Deputy Chairman died aged 78 at Old Dalby Hall.
In 1822 Francis Birmingham Phillips was a bankrupt brewer in Charles Street City Road.
Harry Birmingham Phillips (b.1844) was at Michell & Aldous from 1866, presumably linked to his coming of age [1865 JB Phillips was at Ansells brewery in Birmingham, could this be a connection with the second name] He was later said to be a partner with Richard Cobden Michell from the 1870s. In 1871 "Mitchell" Beasley & Phillips were listed in Plumstead.
However, in 1874 the partnership was said to have been dissolved re H Phillips. Nevertheless, Harry Birmingham Phillips was a director and it traded as Michell & Phillips 1871-1892, when it became M&A, Graham Aldous having become a partner.
The 1881 census shows Harry living in Hampstead, born St Pancras, with a visitor his cousin Maud M Phillips. In 1901 Harry Birmingham Phillips head brewer of Michell & Aldous died aged 57. His wife was Martha Dyson Phillips and son Herbert Dyson Phillips and daughter Amy Florence Aylen. His brother was Walter Tawney Phillips.
Some other aspects:
In October 1924 Major Arthur Edward Phillips moved from Isleworth to Style & Winch at the Royal Brewery, Brentford. He had been at the Isleworth brewery for over 20 years, becoming the managing director in 1921. We have already touched on some possible links and it is worth pointing out that Isleworth also ended within Watneys. In 1926 Arthur Edward Phillips joined the board of the Royal Brewery.
In 1871 Phillips Bros were listed at Swan Walk Chelsea, presumably a depot, since in 1868 it was shown as the Chelsea stores of Phillips Bros Northampton.
In 1892 HL Phillips of London took out a patent regarding syphons. 1911 JR Phillips took a patent re utilisation of waste from malt liquor.
In 1871 Buckland & Phillips were listed at Fort Milton. Then in 1872 EA Buckland, JT Phillips and F Dean partnership was dissolved re Phillips. In 1873 the business was for sale as the Milton Brewery opposite the New Tavern Fort.
The 1881 census shows a William Phillips aged 29 born Nurstead and described as a journeyman brewer. He was living at 19 Russell Street and the information suggests his wife was possibly Elizabeth Randall of Leeds.
In 1888 a Thomas Phillips bought the West Malling business from Howard White & Co. In 1890 it was announced that a new 10 qtr brewery was being built at West Malling for Mr Phillips. Thomas Phillips & Co Ltd was registered on 30th March 1898 at the Abbey Brewery (F5545). It owned 3 breweries and had capital of £210,000, although the purchase
price was apparently £162,870. It owned 70 licensed houses, Diamond Brewery, Maxton, Dover and the Park Brewery, Camberwell 1898-1906 (F3007).
In 1892 Thomas Phillips was listed at The Arches, Henry Street, Bermondsey. There may also be a connection with Phillips & Co of London Road Croydon in 1884. Thomas also bought the Royal Victoria Brewery, 28/9 Grosvenor Road, Tunbridge Wells and in 1898 the Park Brewery, 54a Southampton Street, Camberley (F3030). In 1902 Sir Edward Sullivan was the chairman.
However, in October 1907 the business was unable to meet debenture payments and in 1908 Everden & Phillips were in liquidation / receivership and London properties went to Courage. The other partner was WP Campbell-Everden.
On 4th June 1912 the business was for sale, as a 15 quarter plant with 54 houses and sales of £24,000+. It was then offered as one lot with 35 houses. The highest bid was oe38k, so it was then offered as separate lots, but with only 1 sale -the Rising Sun at Snodland for £2,250. Some of the properties were then sold separately. The Diamond Brewery was sold for only £2,000. It has been suggested that Thomas Phillips repurchased the business and operated it until 1920, when it was sold to Kelseys of Tunbridge Wells. However, Thomas died in November 1913 and in June of that year Alexander Nevill Blair the manager left for Lacons.
It may be of interest that the BJ for 1876/78 mentions Henry Thomas Phillips of Addington a hop pole dealer was bankrupt, paying dividends Mr Phillips West Malling.
The planned books will cover these in more detail, but some aspects which might help with the links are examined.
Robert Phillips, previously brewing at St Mary Magdalen, wrote a will dated 23rd April 1756. He was occupying property previously used by Mary Carter in 1748. Robert's will was probate on 9th January 1758 and his partner John Quatermaine/Quartamaine seems to have taken the brewery, malthouse and property in Bampton. The will mentions Robert's wife Catherine Maria, sons George and Robert and daughter Sarah. His trustees included his brother Matthew a yeoman of Hagbourn, Berkshire. The property then passed to Richard Tawney brewer.
Phillips and Quatermaine also leased a messuage and brewhouse in St Thomas from the City. The property was for sale in December 1758; however, the following week Robert's son George advertised that he was to continue the business. Then on 27th October 1759 it was for sale George having died, details from John Quatermaine.
It seems rather curious that the Robert, owner of the Royston Brewery, also died around 1758. Are you thinking what I am?
There is then a gap until 1846, when there is an entry for North & Phillips linen drapers, noting that in 1772 Edward Phillips draper retired and his shop in Buttermarket was taken by Paulin & Spiers. In 1847 William George Phillips (b.1823 Highworth Wilts) was a mercer and draper at 1 Magdalen Street. There is also an entry for William Phillips living at 20 Caroline Street.
The 1851 census shows WGP with a visitor Lucy Choules, aged 15 born Badbury. He was employing 10 staff at his drapery, including 18 year old Thomas Shillingford (born Bicester). In 1850 WGP had married Mary Choules in Chiseldon, Wilts. She was the daughter of William Choules, for 1841- 1864 licensee of the Plough, Badbury. Robert Choules, possibly her brother, was later in Coventry and involved with NBC. Robert Choules died 25th June 1897 aged 60, his son-in-law was Robert Brewin Bowley/Bowly a brewer of Swindon - The North Wilts Brewery originally owned by the Sheppard family. When Mary Bowly died 12th October 1905 a spinster, she was a shareholder in the Newport Brewery, confirming links with the Swindon family.
Bowly's brewery in 1870 was rebuilt, under the direction of J Phillips of Swindon. Richard Bowly of Cirencester, originally a draper died in 1885 aged 49. Robert Brewin Bowly died on 12th September 1939 aged 76 and his widow ran the business, until her death 14 February 1944. Another link might be through Joseph Choules, a coal dealer in St Aldates Street Oxford in 1844.
In 1848, Phillips & Blake (born Swindon) were auctioneers and wine and spirit merchants at 41/42 Cornmarket, involved in the sale of the Phillips brewery in Bicester. In 1853 Shillingford & Phillips were wine & spirit merchants at 41/42 Corn Market.
Then in November 1855 WGP was in Northampton, where he opened a beer agency for the Stony Stratford brewery. With his brothers the following year he then founded NBC in the town. Around 1874 WGP returned to Oxford, where he bought John Higgins brewery, presumably with his share of the money from the sale of NBC to Seckham.
The 1881 census shows WGP then living at 11 Winchester Road, Oxford with the following:
|Ernest||17||"||clerk at brewery|
His son William G (b.1860 Northants) was at the brewery, 55 Walton Street. Walter W Field (b.1852 Oxford) was a pupil brewer which explains some of links with Field's breweries (NB 1861 a John Phillips married Emma Field in Hitchin).
WG's other son Ernest was a clerk at the brewery. The eldest son Frank Henry (b.1855) was not listed for Oxford, but married Elizabeth BM Lockton in Slapton Northants the following year, so possibly he was still at Northampton.
The business was registered on 21st November 1898 as WG Phillips & Sons Ltd (F3855). Frank Henry was the Chairman, with Mark Thomas as the Secretary. The other member of the Board was Ernest Phillips. It traded until 1910 when it was bought by Halls.
The return to the Oxfordshire area seems to fit with the Phillips family becoming involved with the Shillingfords and in 1897 Phillips bought their old Witney brewery from Clinchs. The Shillingfords seem to diminish in all areas, with Halls of Oxford buying the Oxford and Bicester sites around 1891. Could there have been a family connection by marriage between Phillips and Shillingford?
In 1863 Wm Phillips was a beer retailer in Oxford - 1863 also at Charlton on Moor and in 1869 a farmer and beer retailer.
On 24th November 1770 Edward Lock, carrier to London, announced he was selling his wagons. The following week William Phillips advertised that he had become a partner. The announcement described him as from Dorn in Worcs. On 22nd May 1772 the partnership was dissolved and Phillips was to continue the business. In 1783 William described as a carrier occupied a house and granary, which was for sale or let.
In 1793 William Phillips was listed as a maltster, who also had a carrier business to London and Birmingham - Banbury, Kineton, Warwick and carrier of made-up clothes to London. That year Richard Field was a maltster at the Crown. In May 1808 the Crown was to let, the occupant William Phillips jun, brewer. This is an early example of possible links between the families. The sale may possibly be connected with Joseph Phillips bankrupt linen draper in November 1807, since William had a brother called Joseph. This was a period of financial difficulty for other members of the Phillips family e.g. London, which may have helped a switch from being carriers/ drapers to brewers.
Pigot's directory for 1830 shows William Phillips as a brewer and his brother John as a maltster. William died in August 1839 and his son Richard, listed in 1822 as a mercer and draper in Highworth, returned to Bicester to take over the brewery.
For the period 1842/48 Richard was listed as a malt and ale brewer and maltster. The lease of the brewery was for sale on 15th November 1848, with seven licensed houses, details Shillingford, Phillips and Blake auctioneers.
By 1850 Richard had moved to 122 High Street, Stratford-on-Avon, where he returned to the drapery business until 1854, possibly in connection with Francis Phillips. In 1850 Richard agreed a 14 years lease of the brewery at Bicester to his brother Thomas and Charles Shillingford.
Thomas (b.1804), was a grocer and wine and spirit merchant on Market Hill. On 31st December 1829, Thomas had married Mary Hicks daughter of Robert and Elizabeth, the wedding being in Ringwood. NB a Thomas Phillips gentleman of Andover was an executor for Edward II of Coventry draft will of 1837.
Richard's other brother William George (I) looked after the family farm until his death in 1864. Richard, who had been living in Stony Stratford returned to look after the farm, but was no longer directly involved with brewing. On 21st September 1850, Richard's son Thomas Phillips had married at Bicester, his wife being his cousin Elizabeth Phillips (William George I's daughter). He then moved to Stony Stratford, where the family bought a brewery.
Richard's brother Thomas died in 1866 and his son Albert Edward took over the grocery and the wine and spirit business. In 1867 Thomas's daughter Louisa married an Edward Phillips in Bicester. Clearly this was another cousin, but it is not evident from which branch of the family.
The Bicester brewery was then operated by Charles Shillingford. The Shillingfords also had links with the Field family and hence became involved with the Cannon Brewery in
Clerkenwell, previously Fields. In 1891 Shillingfords were bought by Hanleys of Oxford. WG Phillips of Oxford bought the related wine & spirit business.
Richard died on 20th March 1873, at his home in Oxford Road. He died intestate and this may have lead to changes at NBC and elsewhere.
In 1881 James Henry Phillips, presumably Richard's fourth son (b.1830) was a brewer living in Southampton. Richard's 7th son John (b.1836) may have moved to Stowmarket, with brother Francis.
There was a John Phillips brewing in Hungerford in 1871, but I don't think that this is connected. I have no further details of the 8th son Benjamin (b.1839).
Jas Jeremy Walters ran the brewery for 1854-68, certainly in 1860/63 James Jermy (sic) Walters was the brewer, having previously been at Faringdon (see entry). Walters was born in Reading and may have been the son of James Walters (from Wallingford), a cooper and part-owner of the Cannon Brewery in the early 1830s. Then in 1863 the Buckland brewery passed to James' widow Mrs Hannah Walters, who was listed in 1877.
In 1886 Sidney & Thomas Phillips took over the lease at £76 pa, which they held until 1891. One source states that Sidney and Thomas were the sons of William George Phillips of the Oxford brewery, but this does not fit with the family tree. It is more likely they were WGP's brother Thomas and the latter's sixth son. Initially Sidney had moved to Newport with his father in 1874, but does not feature in details of the operations there. Sidney (b. 1861) would have been 25, so presumably Thomas was simply financing the operation and the following year apparently Sidney was sole lessee. One other possibility is that the other partner was Sidney's brother "Mark Thomas", who would have been 21.
In 1890 WGP Sen. died and there was a new partnership at Oxford, leading to changes at Buckland and from 1891 his son Ernest ran the Buckland business with brother WGP Jun. However, they could not use the business name "Phillips & Son" for 20 years or within 15 miles of Oxford, nor could they use the Tower brand. Then around May 1897, Sidney became a partner with William Walters at the Lion Brewery in Totnes. One wonders if Walters was related to the previous Buckland brewers.
Although it was supposed to have been bought by Phillips, in 1899 it was still described as a small leasehold brewery. Brewing in the village may have stopped in 1905 and it definitely closed in 1910, when the Oxford business was sold to Halls Oxford Brewery.
In 1823 a Joseph Phillips was at the Swan in the town.
The 1851 census includes one James J Walters, a 35 year old brewer from Reading, who was probably employed at the brewery, In 1853 his son, also called James Jeremy, was born in Faringdon. Around 1854 James sen moved to Buckland.
Amariah William Fairthorne & Richard Busby Phillips formed a partnership, possibly in 1861, which would fit with the latter coming of age, to buy the Faringdon concern. RBP was the youngest son of Richard Phillips of Bicester. The census shows AWF aged 56 and born at Shrivenham, where he was still living. There is no mention of his wife, perhaps deceased, and one is tempted to wonder whether she too was a Phillips.
On 10th March 1883 RB Phillips sold his share, perhaps as a result of the death of his first wife the year before. The BJ stated that the business would be continued by AW Fairthorne. RBP remarried in Cambridge in 1884 and died in Willington Beds in 1912.
The BJ of March 1899 mentions that Faringdon had been bought by WG Phillips & Sons. Presumably it then closed and brewing was transferred to Oxford.
In 1848 William was shown at the Fox & Hounds in Vineyard. In 1854, he was listed as a brewer and beer retailer. He was still at the pub in 1863, but it seems to have closed after this date.
Although this may be simply an unconnected pub brewhouse, it is worth noting that in 1886 a William Phillips, gentleman of 5 Clarendon Villas, Berry Road, East Dulwich, sold a malthouse in Abingdon to Morlands. The document was signed in the presence of WC Phillips of 81 Old Broad Street.
In March 1788 John Phillips of a Culham/Oxford branch of family had married Mary, the youngest daughter of Mr Morland brewer of W Ilsley. John owned fisheries at Abingdon and Radley and was later involved with property in Bicester. He may also have been a nephew of the Robert, previously brewing in Oxford.
Again there are various early mentions of the family in the town, the first one of particular relevance is in 1823 for J Phillips maltster. In 1823 John Phillips described as a farmer was involved with the Bell/George property in Bicester. This may be the brother of William the founder of the Bicester brewery and possibly the father of a John who later ran the Six Bells.
In 1836 Charles Phillips of CNR took out a patent for improvements in drawing beer. Charles was an engineer, his father possibly also called Charles, was a surgeon. His son William was also an engineer. In 1844 Charles & William Phillips & Co were engineers in the High Street, but then in 1844 Charles and wife May with William were at the Baptist Mills iron foundry in Bristol. It seems Charles also had a son called Henry, who in 1845 was a chemist in Tunbridge Wells.
In 1881 John Rouse Phillips aged 65 born in CNR was living at Greyshott Hall, Headley, Hants. with wife Elizabeth, son Walter Lawny Phillips aged 30 born in Swindon. Given the Chipping involvement with engineering it is worth remembering that in 1870 the rebuild of Bowly's brewery in Swindon was under the direction of a J Phillips. In addition, the Blakes who were involved with the Phillips wine and spirit trade were from Swindon.
For the period 1830-69 a Richard Phillips was at the George, which had its own brewhouse, probably ceased around the latter year.
There are directory entries for Phillips at various pubs e.g. Crown, Swan, and Phillips & Co were grocers in the Market Place. However, if we focus on the Kings Head in the High Street, papers for 1847 mention Christopher and James Phillips of Newgate Street, London. In 1858 Christopher was at 18 Highbury Green, Islington and James in Myddleton Square. There are other entries which link this branch to the Northampton area, to be investigated. The reason being that Fields/Shillingfords operated a brewery in Thame, which then became a depot for the Bicester concern.
In 1802 John Phillips a voter in Coventry was living in Bow Brickhill. On 1st May 1807, John Phillips from London was advertising that he had taken the Bull. Interestingly at this time a John Phillips of the Star Brewery at "Epping" (see Wapping) was in His Majesty's prison as a bankrupt, but it is not clear if the two individuals were in any way related. Nevertheless, members of Coventry branch had been in London around this time.
On 6th April 1814, The Bull was taken by William Cullen from the Angel Northampton, where he had been brewing. In 1819 the Bull was for sale or let, with details from the owner Wm Cullen. On 1st June 1821 it was for auction with drapers shop, details Mr Congreve solicitor.
In 1844 Thomas Carter was a brewer in the High Street and also running the Bull. On 1st January 1845 the Bull was taken by John Parratt, previously at the Cross Keys. However, in February 1846 he was described as an innkeeper with financial problems, one of whose assignees was George Edward Thorne a draper.
For 1850-54 Revill & Thorne were listed as brewers in the High Street. In 1851 William Whiting aged 53 a brewer, was living in High Street. The census also includes William Jennings a 33 year old linen draper from Bicester. He had entered into a partnership with Mr Freshwater, trading as Freshwater and Jennings. His apprentice was Charles Phillips, aged 15 from Bicester. Is this Alfred Charles the son of Richard, or Charles Thomas, the son of Thomas, since both were born around 1835.
Perhaps linked with his brother or cousin's employment, Thomas moved here from Bicester around 1854. Then on 12th May 1855 the Wheatsheaf at Loughton was available for letting, with details from T Phillips at the Britannia Brewery, which he had acquired from Revill and Thorne.
On 10th November 1856, Thomas's brother William George opened cellars on Wood Hill, Northampton, where he acted on behalf of the Britannia Brewery. In 1859 Thomas Phillips took on a 21 year lease of the brewhouse from John Freer Congreve Esq.
From 1854 to 1864 Richard Phillips gentleman, was living in High Street. Presumably he had moved from Stratford on Avon to be nearer to his family. Having been shown in Stratford on Avon in 1854 as Phillips & Son, there is no mention of him in the 1864 directory. Incidentally, he was not in the 1850 directory which narrows down the date of his move from Bicester.
In 1863 Richard and John Phillips were brewers in High Street. However, the family were now brewing at Northampton and Burton and this was the last mention of brewing here. If this John was Richard's 7th son, he may then have moved to East Anglia - Stowmarket/Norwich.
On Wednesday 22nd February 1876 a sale of property included: Lot 1 Royal Engineer, Stratford Road, Wolverton the lease of which was held by Thomas Phillips until 7th May and supplied by NBC. Lot 2 was the Bull, the lease of which was also due to expire on 7th May, but in this case held by NBC, with J Walter as their tenant. One is tempted to wonder whether this individual could be related to the "Walters" family involved with Phillips elsewhere. The description for the Bull mention the malting and drying kiln and large storehouses, formerly used as a brewery.
There may have been further repercussions of the NBC dispute since in September 1876, the firm announced that they had "removed" Mr Walter from their Stony Stratford agency and emphasised the civility of their new agent LE Poole.
James Ryland Walford was listed as brewing 1877 to 1890. In the 1881 census he is shown as aged 38, born at Hook Norton, married to Clara Phillips, aged 25 born in London. The Phillips family owned property in Hook Norton and there are other links with the Walfords, whose main profession was as solicitors.
In 1887 the business was owned by Edward A Green, until 1890 when it was taken by Ingold & Lewis who had brewing links elsewhere.
Backhouse, DW. (1992) Home Brewed History of Breweries and Pubs in Swindon Area.
Old Estate House: Swindon. Bristow, CR. (1985) Directory of Suffolk Breweries. Salient: Ipswich.
Glover, B. (1993) Prince of Ales. Sutton: Bath.
Mathias, P. (1993) Brewing Industry in England 1700-1830. Gregg Revivals: Aldershot.
Wilson, Richard G. (1983) Greene King Business & Family History. Bodley Head: Bury St Edmunds