Copyright © 2003 the Brewery History Society
On the Trail of the Phillips – Part 1
by Mike Brown
The ensuing work is based on articles which appeared in Journal 49 October 1986. Hence, it will not repeat material unless it is important for the story. I did consider laying out the family trees, but they would probably be far too complex for our simple structure! The article also contains some details of individuals called Phillips, who might be distant members of the family, or who can be ruled out of the empire.
The article is designed as a lead-in to the Society's planned books on Berks, Bucks and Oxfordshire. These will of course feature the Phillips's operations in those counties in much more depth. In turn I would be extremely grateful if members can add anything further to the story, particularly the links between the Coventry branch of the family and Northampton.
Thanks to various descendants such as John, Peter and Henry Phillips, to Martyn Cornell for checking the Herts details and in particular Bob Flood for all his assistance with the census searches.
We start with the involvement in Herts, since this seems to be the earliest direct mention of brewing, although there is prior involvement with pub ownership.
Royston Brewery, Baldock Street.
On 21 September 1725, the Royston brewery was bought by Robert Phillips from Radstock ie Radwell and mentioned as the founder in a later obituary. Around 1759 it passed to his son John I (b1713). The original article suggested that Robert was around 50 when he bought the brewery, so would have been in his eighties. Why not to his eldest sons William (b1704), Robert (b1705) or Michael (b1708), who are identified in notes from descendants now living in New Zealand? Was the focus on milling and baking in this period, or had they involved elsewhere eg Oxford and Coventry? John I apparently died unmarried in 1786 and the brewery passed to his nephew John II (b1755), one of the sons of another brother Thomas (b.1712) in Stamford.
John II died in 1821, also unmarried. The brewery passed to his nephews John III (son of Robert) and John IV (b1796 son of Joseph I of Stamford). John III died in 1826 and two years later his mother sold their share of the brewery to John IV.
John IV's first wife, Monica Michael, died in 1839, leaving a son John V and possibly three daughters. John IV married for a second time, a Jane Helen Marshall of Waldersea, his brother Edward having married a Martha Marshall. (NB a family of this name brewed in Trumpington - Ada Emily Phillips of the Mortlake family also married a Marshall). He seems to have had two sons Joseph Edward John and George Frederick by his second marriage. By December 1870 the business was trading as Phillips Bros, suggesting that John V (b1835) and his half brother Joseph Edward John (b1843) had taken over the business from their father. John IV died in 1871 and in 1874 the business was listed as Phillips J & JE.
In 1897 a limited company was formed with directors John V's son by his first wife - John Robert Phillips of Torquay, James Jarvis of Eastbourne and James Edward Jarvis who was the MD at Royston. The latter was also a director of the Stamford Brewery in 1915. JEJ Phillips retired from active involvement in 1897, when he was also a shareholder in Halls of Oxford.
In 1899 Phillips of Royston bought Alexander Frederick Tooth's Castle Brewery of Cambridge. As an aside, in 1835 John Tooth from Cranbrook, Kent formed a partnership with Charles Newnham to establish the Kent Brewery in Sydney, Australia. In the mid 1840s the original partners had retired and the brewery was leased to Robert and Edwin Tooth, sons of Robert a brewer of London. They were also joined by Frederick Tooth, possibly another brother. Around this time some of the Phillips family emigrated to Australia, later O Phillips was a director of Tooth & Co and other members of the family were also involved. Two years after the foundation of Sydney, Captain Arthur Phillips was growing crops at Castle Hill, Rosehill (now Parramatta) which included barley used to produce the first ale in Australia.
On 23 Feb 1910, Joseph Edward John died aged 67 and his son Joseph Harold John (b1879) became involved. On 24th October 1925 John V died at the age of 90. His sons: John Robert, Eric Charles Malcolm, Ian Montague Michael, Edwin Gray Monilaws.
In 1949 the business (F4357) was sold to Greens of Luton. The family directors were: Col Joseph Harold John Phillips – chairman, Col Eric Charles Malcolm Phillips, Major EGM Phillips MC, Lt Cmdr CEHJ Phillips, Lt Col Harold PJ Phillips. Harold and Edwin became directors of Greens. In 1951 J & JE Phillips was operated as Greens' wine & spirits subsidiary, with directors shown as Col ECM Phillips CB DSO DL JP and Lt Col HPJ Phillips.
Why they sold up to Greens has been a question of interest (at least to us anoraks). However, there are some links which can examined.
On 1st July 1854 Frederick Burr, a Luton brewer, married Charlotte, daughter of George Phillips, clerk of Sandon in Essex. Burrs's family was related by marriage to the Crabbs brewing in Great Baddow, where his father William had been brewing. RH Crabb was born in Sandon Place, which might explain how they had met.
Frederick died in 1856 and in 1857 the Burr family sold the Luton brewery to Thomas Sworder of Hertford. Stuart Smith's excellent book on the Luton Brewers and pubs does not mention that in February 1874 the Brewers Journal gave details of the Luton Brewery Company, which was previously Sworders. The chairman was a William Phillips home The Lancrets (See also the entry for Thaxted). My understanding is that this was to finance the building of the new brewery. In 1897 JW Green bought Sworders!
Phillips Stamford Bwy Ltd., Water Street.
The first listing is for a Joseph Phillips as a brewer in 1791, having bought a brewhouse from Thomas Trueman or Truman (!) a carrier. Around this time one branch of the Phillips family ran a carrier business at Bicester.
Joseph I had previously been a baker in Royston. One of his reasons for leaving may have been that he had been rejected by the Quakers for marrying outside the religion in 1789. His father Thomas also seems to have moved to Stamford.
In 1821 Joseph I's brother John II, who had been running the family brewery in Royston died and this was then run by Joseph's eldest son John IV, together with the latter's cousin also called John.
Then on 18th February 1824, Joseph I of Stamford bought a brewery in Coventry, where he or his second son Joseph II may have been malting from at least 1822. The Coventry brewery was then run by his sons, initially Joseph II. However, in 1833 Joseph I died and Joseph II returned to Stamford to look after the brewery there, whilst Coventry was run by his younger brothers Henry and Edward. Edward returned to Stamford by 1836, and became involved with the Wisbech brewery, with his brother John IV. However, the latter was also still involved with the family brewery at Royston.
Henry Phillips, shown in 1861 as a 29 year-old solicitor in Stamford, was the son of Joseph II. The firm of solicitors Thompson, Phillips and Evans of Stamford continued to handle much of the legal paperwork for the family's brewery involvement, including Coventry and Wisbech. The Thompsons and Evans were also related to the Phillips' family by marriage.
Joseph II died on 21 Sept 1865 and the Stamford brewery was then run by his sons Joseph III (b1824 Coventry) and Charles (b1830), until the latter left in 1873 (1867 living Braceborough moved to Surrey where he died 1891 at Unstead Park, Godalming).
Joseph III died on 18 August 1902 and his sons took over: Capt John Henry Joseph (b1861) and Charles Percy Phillips (b1865). JHJ in 1887 married Emmie Amelia Hunt the daughter of another Stamford brewer. Charles died 10 Sep 1913. A third son Ernest William Phillips was a solicitor (b1868 died unmarried 1906). The head brewer was RD Dawson.
John Henry Joseph died 29 Jan 1936, but his son Claud Joseph Henry (b1892) did not become involved with the brewery and the governing director of Stamford was JHJ's cousin Lionel Charles Whitehead Phillips (b1867) the son of Charles Phillips. LCW married a Lillian Bouchier Saville - hence the first name Saville - in 1897 and they had 2 sons and 2 daughters. LCW's son John Saville Phillips later became a director of the Stamford brewery.
This may also be the LCW Phillips employed by Messr Thornton & Thornton of 8 King Edward Street Oxford, chartered accountants, with offices in Thame, Bicester and Witney. These were all towns which were touched by the Phillips' brewing dynasty at some point.
LCW died on 1st July 1951 and his other son Patrick Edward Phillips took his place on the board. His son-in-law Edward Randall Chadwyck-Healey MC, Mill House, Hoot, Basingstoke, also joined the Board. The latter was chairman, and sixth generation member, of Charringtons and of Thompsons in Kent. The brothers-in-law sold the firm to NBC, which of course had been founded by Phillips.
There are early mentions of the Phillips family in Coventry eg 1547 Thomas Phillips, a mason, constructed the cross and in 1643 Alderman Ralph Phillips was a baker.
The strongest links are through the ownership and occupation of a malthouse in Well Street. In 1754 it was possibly used by Edward King (linked to a Thomas King brewer of the Rose & Crown, High Street and mayor 1670/71). It is then mentioned in John Philips/ Phillips's will of 1738. John was an innkeeper, whose widow Mary was to marry, presumably in 1754, a John Pickering. Pickering was involved with the Eagle & Child and was also the grandson of Villers, a maltster. Mary was the sister of a Thomas King. Furthermore, in 1763 Edward King, described as a vintner, was involved with land next to what was to become the Leicester Row brewery.
There is a record of a marriage on 14th October 1722 between a John Phillips and a Mary King at Barley in Hertfordshire. If this is the Coventry couple, it raises the question of why this village, but strengthens possible links with the East Anglian branch.
John Phillips's brothers were Thomas and William (recently died), both with son's carrying their fathers name. The malthouse was used by the Phillips family from at least 1797, possibly as early as 1741 by Thomas, and in 1814 was occupied by Edward Phillips FSA. In 1791 Mary Phillips of the Bicester branch married a William Phillips and it is possible that he was a member of the Coventry family.
There is a will of 1807 for Edward Phillips of Fillongley, which mentions his brothers Thomas & Joseph. This may not be directly relevant, since there is no mention of William and Edward II who inherited from Joseph through an Edward; however, it does allow the possibility that Edward could have been a previously unmentioned member of the Royston branch. One possibility is that William, b1704 and so far not traced, could be the individual who formed the Coventry link and that the Thomas previously involved with the malthouse could have been the father of Joseph I, the founder of the Stamford brewery. This would fit with the family's business around the time.
Coventry Brewery, Leicester Row / Dog Lane.
The brewery was mentioned in the 1793 directory as Summerfield & Owen. Interestingly, the same directory does not include any member of the Phillips family in the city. In 1802 it was run by David Lloyd and his brother-in-law William Payton Summerfield. In 1809 shown as Summerfield, Lloyd & Owen. Mathias p185 mentions a letter from Allsopps about supplies of inferior porter.
In 1811/22 a Joseph Phillips - sheriff 1812/15 - owned a malting in Bishop Street and we have already mentioned the family's other malting interest in the town.
In 1819 the brewery was run by William Payton Summerfield, Richard Lloyd and William Lloyd Summerfield. On 18th February 1824, Joseph I of Stamford bought the Coventry brewery, with property in Bishop Street plus brewhouse. This was financed by a £2,000 mortgage from James Welton. The Summerfields became merchants in Liverpool, David Lloyd described as brewer moved to Halesworth in Suffolk, Richard Lloyd brewer was living at Allersley in Warwicks.
Joseph's son Joseph II (some of whose children were born in Coventry in 1820/30s) ran the Coventry brewery, which in 1825 was trading as Josh Phillips & Son (also Stamford). His "nephew" Edward (Cov II FSA) a surveyor, was Sheriff of Coventry 1824–26. This is the one link which has proved impossible to confirm, since although some names fit, the dates differ.
The 1833 poll book for Coventry lists the Stamford brothers, but with a £10 annotation, which may be linked to their owning property in Coventry, whilst residing elsewhere. On the death of Joseph I on 18th August 1833, Joseph II returned to Stamford to look after the brewery there and Coventry was then run by his brothers Henry and Edward, who had inherited under Joseph I's will of 18 June 1831. In 1835, Joseph II and Edward were £10 voters in Bishop Street, although not Henry. Edward also returned to Stamford by 1836, when Henry bought out his share.
However, the notes at Coventry state that Joseph I died intestate, which does not fit with the mention of the will and does raise the possibility that there were two Josephs.
In 1836 Henry was a common brewer involved with the Hop Pole and in 1837 he was listed as a brewer and maltster involved with the Grapes and a £10 voter for Bishop Street, as was Edward. In that year their cousin Edward (Cov II FSA) wrote a draft will, perhaps because of Judith of Stamford's death, which might have meant that property from Joseph I held on trust for her had passed to him?
One other possibility is that Coventry Edward's father William had married a sister of Joseph I. Although speculation, this might explain why only some property was transferred. Furthermore, this included the local malting side of the business which had traditionally been owned by the Coventry branch of the family. The draft will includes mention of a Joseph (presumably Edward II's son who later became a surveyor) being taught farming as "Joseph" desires, with the option of becoming the tenant of Whitmore Hall. In 1830 a "Josh" Phillips is listed as a maltster in Bishop Street and farmer at Radford and Whitemoor Park, which would fit with Joseph II, before he returned to Stamford.
On 22nd Feb 1847, Henry was a maltster, with a 13 year old son called Henry, to be trained for the clergy. Then on 19th October, the Leicester Row brewery was auctioned at the Kings Head. It was bought by William Ratliff, but financed by mortgages and loans with the Phillips family and others in the Stamford area.
A deed of 10th August 1848 confirms the family links. It mentions Joseph of Stamford, John of Royston, Edward of Wisbech and a Richard Thompson of Stamford. In addition Henry Phillips of Bourton gave his consent. Bourton is a village near both Highworth and Buckland (see other entries). The deed was the lease of the brewery and malting in Leicester Row Coventry to John Ratliff, Cleophas Ratliffe and William Ratliffe described as ribbon manufacturers in Coventry. The lease also included:-
|Barley Mow, Coventry||New Inn, Exhall|
|Royal George, Grandborough||Hop Pole, Emscote|
|Dun Cow, Southam||Barley Mow, Stockton?|
The malthouses and some of the other pubs had been retained by Edward (Cov II) and his sons. Henry emigrated to New Zealand in September 1850. He arrived on 17th December on board the Sir George Seymour. He had married a Mary Physick and they had some 12 children, including Henry Jun. Henry died in Rockwood NZ in 1877, the year after his son. At some point his brother Charles emigrated to Australia.
The Coventry Edward II FSA died on 26th September 1855 and was buried in the family vault at Stoneleigh. The south window of Trinity Church in Coventry has a stained glass window to his memory. In his draft 1837 will, one of his executors was Thomas Rotherham, of the Coventry malting family (which may explains his son TRP's second name, perhaps his mother's maiden name was Rotherham). The other executor was a Thomas Phillips, gentleman of Andover. The latter has not yet been identified. He could have been Edward II's brother/ cousin, since the name Thomas occurs on the Coventry poll books from 1741 to 1835. However, another possibility is that he was the Bicester grocer Thomas Phillips, who was married in Ringwood in 1829.
In terms of Edward's (Cov II) children, Edward III became a doctor and George Septimus a druggist, William and Joseph took over his other business as a surveyor and Alfred was shown in Well Street to at least 1863. William the surveyor also seems to have inherited the Pilgrim in Ironmonger Row, built by Edward on the site of an old malthouse. At the moment, I have no details of what happened to the other sons: Frederick Joseph and Thomas Rotherham, who inherited the Punchbowl and property at Berkswell, but note that a TR Phillips was secretary of the Newbridge Rhonnda Bwy Co 1890-1901. The family's main home of Whitemoor Park seems to have later been occupied by the eldest daughter Katherine Hannah. This suggests that the other sons, either died at an early age or moved away from Coventry.
The evidence shows that the founders of NBC were not the sons of the Coventry Edward II. However Francis "Frank" of the Northampton family did become involved with the Coventry brewery. On 31st December 1878, Francis Phillips and Walter Henry Marriott formed a partnership and Frank moved to Coventry, to run what became Phillips & Marriott's Midland Brewery of 127 Much Park Street. The question of why this business didn't become part of the Northampton Brewery is probably linked with the disagreement with the Seckham family, which was then running NBC.
There were also links with Coventry through the Choules family. In 1850 William George Phillips, one of the founders of NBC, married a Mary Choules and in 1874 Robert, possibly her brother, was the NBC agent in Coventry. In 1866 Robert was described as a wine merchant, married to Louisa Warr. In July 1888 Robert Choules sold the Gas Tavern and the Rose & Woodbine to NBC. Robert Choules died 25th June 1897.
In 1881 F Phillips aged 52 born Kegworth (presumably Highworth), Wilts was a visitor staying with the Woolley family in Derby. He was described as a brewer and John T Woolley was a brewer's assistant, born in Ripley, the Wolley family having brewed in Ripley in 1864. Phillips' 24 year-old wife Florence was born in Ripley suggesting she may have been Woolley's sister, with a daughter born in Coventry the previous year. Although the "F's" age does not fit exactly, this may be an enumerator error, and suggests it could be Francis, who had a daughter called May.
In 1890 the Phillips & Marriott partnership was dissolved re "Francis" Phillips and the following year a limited company was formed with F Phillips and J Marriott as the first directors. James Marriott (Walters father) died 1913 aged 94. Marriott possibly had some family connection with Rowland Hill, who benefited from the estate and ran a Peterborough malt business. William Hutton had taken over management of the business.
The Ratliff concern (the original Phillips business) traded until 1900 when William Ratliff died. It then amalgamated with Phillips & Marriott.
Frank died on 15th February 1901, aged 76 previously of NBC and chairman Phillips & Marriott. Interestingly the Brewers Almanack entry names him as Francis R Phillips, yet another misnomer! The newspaper report of the funeral mentions a brother Frank, but could this have been his nephew Frank Henry of the Oxford Brewery? Also present were various members of the Brain family and Mr & Mrs SE Field. Mr Thomas Phillips in attendance could not have been his brother, who died in 1899; perhaps it was his nephew Mark Thomas. There was also a Mrs J Phillips of Cheltenham - brother John's widow?
Perhaps as a result of Frank's death the business became a limited company. On 9th October 1912 RG Bell the managing director died aged 57. He was also a director of Halls, who had recently bought the Phillips Oxford business.
The Coventry business (F1217) was bought by Bass in 1924. This seems rather an odd purchase, the only known link being Chadwyck-Healey of Charringtons, which was of course much later. Hutton remained as a director.
In 1881 William Phillips aged 36 was a brewer in Castle Street, Coventry. He was born in Coventry, but no direct links have been established. However, staying in the house was his nine year old niece Fanny. Although she was born in Wolverhampton, her surname was Marshall and we have already mentioned that there are links elsewhere with the family of this name.
Joseph II's son Edward had returned to Stamford by 1836, having sold his share in the Coventry brewery to his brother Henry. Edward married Martha Marshall (a Cambridge brewing family) which may have been linked to the move. In the same year a partnership of Richard Tibbits and Edward & John Phillips bought a brewery in Wisbech. Richard from Oundle, had married Edward and John's sister Emily in 1832. He was the son of Samuel Tibbits who was in a brewing partnership in Oundle with John Smith, Samuel being the latter's brother-in-law. Richard took over his father's share of the Oundle brewery in 1837.
Edward's wife Martha seems to have died soon after 1841 and he married for a second time. By his second wife Emily he had three daughters and in 1846 a son who was also called Edward.
In 1848 the partnership of Edward & John Phillips and Richard Tibbits was still trading, but was dissolved in 1853, when Edward seems to have retired from the business and Richard Tibbits sold his share to John. In 1858 John was listed as a brewer at North Brink. Edward esq was also at this address, but died on 18th March 1859. His young children appear to have been looked after by his brothers and his son Edward later became a brewer in S Wales and then the N East. Tibbits had returned to Oundle, where he died in 1860, and the Oundle brewery then became owned solely by the Smiths (see Brewed in Northants).
Meanwhile, John remained at the Royston brewery and on 11th October 1866, he transferred the Wisbech brewery to his third son George Frederick, possibly on the latter's 21st birthday. On John's death on 30th March 1871, GFP inherited the Wisbech concern. The Royston brewery went to John's other sons: John jun and Joseph Edward John. His will also included property in Canterbury, New Zealand, possibly as a result of his brother Henry's emigration. It also mentioned John's nephew Richard Phillips Thompson and his brother Charles Phillips. The executors of John senior's will were Richard Thompson of Stamford and John Phillips of Newcastle on Tyne.
On 27th August 1877, GFP sold the Wisbech brewery, described as lately modernised. It was bought by John Elgood and George Harrison and is still trading as Elgoods. The sale details were handled by Thompson, Phillips & Evans of Stamford.
We have mentioned that Michael Phillips (1677-1747), in 1725 a maltster in Bassingbourn, was a member of the original Phillips family of Royston. In 1805 Phillips of Royston bought rivals Beldams, a family originally from Bassingbourn.
In 1830, Thomas Phillips was a brewer in Well End, March. There was a Thomas the fifth son of Joseph I, of whom no further details have been determined, although he is thought to have died young. Francis Burdett Phillips was then listed as brewing 1854-58 and in 1871-1876 Thomas Phillips was brewing in the High Street.
The notes from the NZ branch of the family show a Thomas of Tharfield and Baldick (presumably Baldock) married Anne Bird, but died in 1814. However, it does mean that the family were in Baldock at an early point.
John Pryor, a maltster and brewer in Baldock in the 1770s, died in 1819 and his first son John Izzard Pryor took over the brewery and the latter's younger brother Vickris took over the malting. The middle two sons Thomas Marlborough Pryor (m Hannah Hoare) and Robert Pryor were partners in Trumans of London - remember who sold the Stamford brewery!
There were also family links with the Ampthill and Hatfield breweries. However, it may also help to explain why the Phillips brewery at Burton was later sold to Trumans ie less disposal from financial problems and possibly a family marketing strategy.
In 1821 John Phillips IV of Royston's sister Sophia married Richard Simpson of Moulton, Lincs and Longstone Cambs. Their two sons Joseph and Thomas George bought the Pryor's Baldock brewery in 1853, on the death of their father. Thomas was married to his cousin Fanny Phillips, daughter of Joseph II.
In addition, Joseph Phillips Nunn, a cousin whose second name suggests his mother was a Phillips, was the managing partner at Baldock from 1870. The Nunns were brewers in Barton, Cambs, JPN's brothers were Thomas William Nunn and Edmund Brook Nunn. In February 1895 Nunn died aged 67. According to Martyn Cornell his replacement John Edward Thurnall was also a Phillips relative.
The Baldock brewery was then run by the next generation of cousins Evelyn and Francis Tom Simpson. They had inherited the business from their fathers. However, the actual management was undertaken by John Dear, who worked for the firm for 59 years. In 1885 Evelyn married his cousin Fanny Emily Agnes, daughter of Joseph III of Stamford.
In 1909 Evelyn Simpson changed his name to Shaw-Helier, as a result of inheriting his uncle's estate in Staffs. On 18 July 1922 Evelyn died aged 61 at his home The Wombourne, Wodehouse, Wolverhampton and his interest in Baldock passed to his daughter Evelyn Mary Penelope Shaw-Helier. His son Arthur Joseph had been killed in action in 1915.
On 16th November 1929, Francis Tom Simpson died aged 63 and left property at Sheringham to LCW Phillips. Simpson's god-daughter was Rachel Margaret Chadwyche-Hedley, the daughter of LCWP.
St Edmunds Brewery, Paradise Road.
This business was founded soon before 1872, when bought for £400 by William Newell. In 1874 it was listed as Ward & Newell. On 3rd November 1894 it was sold for oe1400 to Charles Reginald Phillips (b1864 Colchester). His brother, Percy Herbert Phillips was listed in 1896 and 1900, having been in the town from around 1892. In 1904 Phillips & Co moved production from Downham to Elm Road in Wisbech. The Elm Road brewery was converted from a mill in 1900 by Frederick Woods and in 1903 was owned by Henry T Herbert. Phillips was listed from 1908 until 1911. Charles Reginald retired in 1910 and Percy Herbert continued the business.
The general assumption is that a fire on 24th May 1911 at Wisbech caused production to return to Downham. However, PH Phillips of the Downham Market Brewery was bankrupt 16th September 1911, when trading as Phillips & Co Downham Market Brewery. He was operating the Elm Road Brewery, Wisbech where he lived. The latter site closed in 1946. The Downham site was later a motor cycle showroom and some buildings remain at both towns. Charles and Herbert's father Arthur had run a grocer's shop in Leatherhead and their grandfather Samuel had been a maltster at Lexden near Colchester in 1839. No links with the other brewing Phillips have yet been established; however, it is worth noting that some of Herbert's children were born in Oxford 1890/91, a time of change at the Phillips brewery there.
In July 1833, a Charles Phillips bought a brewery from a Stephen Piper, and in 1839 was listed as a brewer in the High Street. Then for 1844 to 1855 Charles was listed for Albion Street. From 1858 he was shown as a brewer and spirit merchant in Wellington Street, with home Mill Hill. He was also a solicitor in partnership with James Neal York, as Phillips & York, Albion Street. In 1864 he was listed as brewing at Wellington Street.
In March 1865, because of ill-health Charles sold the business to John of Royston. The latter sold some of the brewing plant in July 1866, which suggests that he was supplying from his own brewery in Royston. He sold some of the pubs in 1870 when trading as Phillips Bros.
Charles has been suggested as Joseph I's fourth son (b1803); however, the NZ family notes state that this Charles moved to Australia. His first wife Louisa Harper had died and he later married a Diana Hills.
The Greene King history (p309) states that a Phillips was a partner in Moody's brewery in Albion Street, which was bought by Greene King in 1896. However, when Moody Bros were bankrupt in 1869 there is no mention of any Phillips in the details for the new company.
Stowmarket Brewery, Stowupland Street.
In 1855/58 there are directory entries for Phillips Bros, who may have leased the brewery previously used by JW & G Stevens. The name "Phillips Bros" at this time was used by the Northampton and Burton concern, but was later used by the Royston Brewery.
In 1864, they had offices at 6 Northgate Street, Bury St Edmunds, and were supplying the Dolphin in Cannon St and in 1868 the Joiners Arms. The lease on the Stowmarket Brewery and nine pubs expired in 1865. Although the premises were advertised for sale Phillips continued to use them. In 1868 they had depots at Ipswich and Newmarket.
In June 1868 Francis Phillips, late of the Stowmarket Brewery, joined a partnership with Frederick King to establish a brewery at Bury St Edmunds. Francis worked as an assistant for 3 years, but apparently had problems with the accounts and also threatened legal action about his status (GK history p310). This could be Francis of the Northampton branch, but hardly fits with his later image. He was at Burton in 1873 (and possibly from when that brewery was opened in 1865), before returning to Northampton and was then at Phillips & Marriott Coventry Brewery from 1878.
In 1872 Phillips Bros were bankrupt and there is one suggestion that in 1874 John, trading as Phillips Bros, was bought with 21 pubs by Clutterbucks of Stanmore, which seems rather surprising and does not fit with the Greene King story. The only link of which I am aware is that in 1739 John Phillips the son of Thomas a gentleman of Worminghall, Bucks, was apprenticed to Wm Clutterbuck grocer.
In July 1882, Phillip Bros of Stowmarket, with offices at Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds and Newmarket, were bought by Greenes of Bury St Edmunds and in 1886 King merged with Greenes.
There is no evidence that this was John from the Royston branch; however, it could be John of the Bicester/ Northampton family, which would fit with the trading name. If he had been involved with the Stowmarket brewery in 1855, this would fit with his 21st birthday. In 1881 a 10 year-old Percy Phillips born in Stowmarket was at boarding school in Northampton. Could this also be the John, who in 1871 was an executor for John of Royston, and was in Newcastle.
Although the brewing side was sold, the family may have continued in business as Sutton & Phillips. This was formed in 1879 with CW Sutton & Co in Stowmarket & London (Brewers Journal 1884 p319), trading at 35 Penton Place Kings Cross. In 1886 they were selling "Burton Spring Liquor" saline ingredients (BJp59) as well as other brewery chemical products.
In the 1881 census John Phillips, aged 45 and born in Highworth, was a manufacturing chemist living in South Weald Essex, with wife Lavinia born Carleton, Lincoln. His occupation and address would seem to provide evidence of the link. His 27 year-old niece Eleanor, born in Oxford, was staying with the family.
On 8th January 1915 John Phillips, the senior partner died aged 80, homes Wentworth Compayne Gardens in Hampstead and Regent House in Regent Street. His son John Stanley's home was Arklow Cottage, Windsor. Richard of Bicester's seventh son was born 1 April 1836, certainly the age seems to fit. Furthermore, JSP described as a consulting brewer in 1903 was a debenture holder in the Newport brewery and in 1920 an executor with Walter Clifford Phillips (who would be his cousin) for Elizabeth Phillips, spinster who died 2 July 1920.
In 1912 John Stanley Phillips, brewers' chemist of Windsor, was an executor on the death of Howard Harvey Smith of the Bridge Wharf Brewery in Lewes. Perhaps another coincidence, but on 20 Sep 1902 Edith Mary Phillips the 24 year old daughter of Charles Robert Phillips married a Harry Jenner aged 23. In 1938 Anthony Jenner (of a London brewing family) was appointed 2nd brewer at Harveys.
On 5th May 1938 John Stanley Phillips died aged 71, MD of Sutton & Phillips. His brief obituary says that he trained at Morgans, Norwich which his father was said to have founded. I take this to mean that he was involved with the founding of the limited company, not the original brewery itself. (NB grocer Thomas Phillips of Bicester's daughter Ursula Phillips in 1860 married a William Morgan, a manufacturer from Middlesex and there may also be links with Morgans in Abergavveny).
Sutton & Phillips are still in business supplying the brewing industry at 5 Stowupland Road Stowmarket. The old brewery was used by Suffolk Water Authority until 1940 and later demolished.
John Phillips Eagle & Child Brewery, Golden Ball Street.
The 1851 census shows John aged 50 and born Sittingbourne, which suggests that he was not directly related to the Stamford family (but see Kent). He had been in Norwich for at least 19 years, and had a son John aged 11. He was employing three men, which suggests that it was more than simply a pub brewery, as well as his daughter Mary, who was a barmaid. The pub was advertised for sale in the 6th August 1853 Norwich Mercury. This was originally the Old Plough. However, in 1858 John Phillips was still the brewer at the Eagle & Child, whilst a William Phillips was at the Lord Nelson. In 1869 John was bankrupt.
In 1881 a John Phillips, born Sittingbourne Kent and described as a brewer and publican, was in the Great Hospital Norwich, with his wife Mary Maria Phillips (b1805 Weymouth).
The 1881 census shows his son John aged 41, as a brewers' agent in Winchester, with one daughter and two sons. A lodger at his house was William S Brockley a brewer employing 4 men.
In 1898 operated by a John Thomas Phillips (F5333). This was the only entry, but in 1892 JTP had been at the Nags Head, High Causeway.
In 1888 Edward Loakes Phillips was the manager of Lindsells brewery.
In 1875 the Thaxted Brewery & Malting Co was formed. With a capital of only £10,000, this was clearly only a small concern. The two partners were HJ Burt brewer of Great Dunmow and George Phillips, distiller of 69 High Holborn. Burt went on to become involved with other breweries eg Fenstanton. Odd how the Ventnor Brewery on the Isle of Wight, once operated by the Burts was later run by the Phillips family! Makes you drink, sorry think, doesn't it.
In 1902 George Phillips & Co were distillers of the St Andrews Distillery, 49 Clerkenwell Road. Around 1908 a George Phillips was a director of Daniell & Sons of the Castle Brewery in Colchester. George the senior partner died in 1910.
Northampton Brewery Company
In the BHS Journal No 49 and indeed in Brewed in Northampton we assumed that one of the three founding brothers was Thomas Rotherham Phillips; hence making a link with Coventry. However, the property conveyance, census and other documents all show his name as simply Thomas. This means that there were no direct links with Coventry and that the founding brothers were from the Bicester branch of the family.
Thomas moved from Bicester to Stony Stratford around 1854 and in 1855 was operating the Britannia Brewery there. In November 1855 Thomas's brother William George Phillips (WGP) established an agency for the brewery at Northampton. WGP previously had been a mercer and draper in Oxford, but his first child Kate had been born in Royston in 1853.
In 1856/57 Thomas Phillips founded the Northampton brewery with brothers WGP and Arthur Charles Phillips (ACP) and moved to the town by 1858. The poll books show the three founders as:
|ACP||Primrose Hill||6 Langham Place|
|Thomas||6 Albion Place||82 Abington Street|
|WG||108 Bridge Street||The Elms Billing Road|
In May 1858, 6 Albion Place was to let by Phillips Bros. In 1860, WGP was in Towcester, but by 1863 was back in Northampton. In 1859 Frederick Phillips, possibly another brother, was the firm's agent at Daventry. ACP's youngest son Russell Frederick and daughter Ann Gertrude were born in London 1866/67, so presumably he had left Northampton.
In 1865, the brothers also opened a brewery at Burton-on-Trent, but in doing this they may have over-stretched their finance and Samuel Lipscombe Seckham became a partner at Northampton around 1868. The Seckhams were from Oxford, which suggests other links with the Phillips.
However, in 1872 the local paper described a court case "Major assault on Brewer". On 29 August Major James Rutherford Lumley had been charged with assaulting WGP. The case centred on WGP being selected as representative for the parish, after his three daughters were confirmed at St Edmunds. The Major issued a pamphlet about the scandal and when WGP addressed him in the street the Major struck him with his cane. Lumley cross-summonsed for WGP's abusive language, but lost the case although provocation was cited in the summary of the assault charge.
Around this time the family decided to sell up, with Thomas moving to Newport. William was given first offer on the Northampton Brewery, but turned it down and moved back to Oxford.
Thomas or "Tom" had lived at Wootton Hall until he moved to Newport, and in January 1874 an 18 month lease on the Hall was advertised as being available from 25th March. Tom also sold the horses, carriages etc. On 14th May there was an auction of WGP's house the Elms, Billing Road. However, another source of problems was the question of the surfacing of the road outside the house. There were several letters; including one from another local brewer Mr Phipps, regarding the issue and one senses that there had been differences of opinion! In June the 50 quarter malting and other property near the wharf used by Phillips Bros, were advertised for sale.
In July 1874 there was a court case regarding the wrongful dismissal of Tom's son Edward. On 19th March 1872, Edward had become an apprentice brewer on a salary of £80. The apprenticeship was to be for three years and the family paid the usual premium to the brewer Mr Beman. However, he had left and Thomas had taken over the brewing until he moved to Newport in 1873. Edward's uncle Frank then moved from Burton to look after the business, although Thomas Venable Jones did the actual brewing.
Thomas is said to have taken the more active part during the talks on selling the business and "so caused some little angry feeling on the part of Mr Seckham." The latter took possession of the business on 25th March 1874 and on 8th April he dismissed Edward. The case centred on whether Edward's contract was for him to "sleep within one hundred yards" of the brewery and to be available at all hours. However, Seckham insisted that he should work six-to-six and argued that he had failed to abide by these new terms and not turned up for work. The counter-claim was that he simply wanted Tom's son out of the brewery.
Seckham appointed Jones as head brewer and there was conflicting evidence about whether Edward had lost interest after the sale. Thomas won the case but was awarded damages of one farthing!
In 1878 Francis was still at 96 Bridge Street, but moved to Coventry that year. Meanwhile William George having moved back to Oxford bought Higgin's brewery; however, as late as 1882 his son Frank Henry married in Slapton, Northants. Alfred Charles had moved to Caversham, where in 1881 he was a commercial traveller in hops, living at 1 Greenham Villa. Aged 47, he was born in Highworth, Wilts and had 3 sons born in Northampton:
|George Harold 23||clerk to railway contractor|
|John 22||brewers clerk|
|Alfred Charles 18||clerk to a surveyor|
Staying with the family was niece Elizabeth aged 15 and born in Faringdon, where the family was also involved in brewing. There is no indication of where John was employed. In the 1890s Phillips & Sons were listed as brewers in Friar Street, Reading, but Colin Lanham suggests that this was probably only a depot.
In 1903 a debenture holder in the Newport brewery (NDH) was George Harold Phillips of Spring Road, Isleworth, described as a retired brewers surveyor. This could be the same GHP, but if so he must have retired at a very early age. Also at 162 Spring Grove Road was Harold Valentine Phillips, gentleman.
It is thought that ACP sen died around 1912, aged 75. His son Alfred Charles Phillips died on 7th January 1929, when he was described as a land steward of Reading, his executor was his sister Ann Gertrude Phillips, described as a spinster. She died 8 December 1945 in Heathfield, Sussex.
On 4th April 1936 Elizabeth Selina Phillips died, probate being undertaken by George Harold Phillips. In 1924 she had lived in Isleworth, where Maj Arthur Edward Phillips had been at the Isleworth brewery for 20 years, suggesting she was perhaps his wife.
In terms of the Reading area, in 1809 Thomas Phillips a mealman (often related to malt trade) in Twyford, was involved with the lease of the White Horse in the village. In 1810 Thomas Martin Phillips and William Phillips were bankrupt mealmen in Twyford.
Eagle Brewery, Derby Street, Burton.
Another William George Phillips (1798-1864) and uncle of the NBC founders lived in Bicester as a farmer. His daughter, Elizabeth, married cousin Thomas. If this William George had no other issue, presumably his wealth passed to his daughter. This could have financed the construction by Thomas and his brothers of the brewery at Burton, in the year following their uncle's death.
The Burton concern was run by Francis "Frank", until he returned to look after the Northampton brewery. In 1874 the Phillips & Seckham partnership was dissolved and Trumans, with whom we know there were distant family links, bought the Eagle Brewery. Despite enlarging and refitting it, they lost money until 1880.
Meanwhile in 1880, a Clara Phillips married Henry Robert Morton of the Burton brewing engineers. Robert Morton was born in 1859 in Stockton-on-Tees, where his family owned a foundry. He moved to Burton by 1876. In 1886 Henry Wilson advertised that he continued the Stockton business, previously Morton & Wilson. Initially it was thought that Clara, born in Burton, was directly related to the Burton founders, but she was born in 1859, before their arrival in the town. It seems her father was Richard Phillips Jun. a cooper.
In 1936 John R Phillips was manager of Briggs brewing equipment manufacturers of Burton on Trent, who in 1988 bought Mortons.
Mark Quay Brewery.
In 1853 Phillips & Bowman were at the Barley Mow Brewery Bishopwearmouth, but it is not clear which member of the family was involved, although we have mentioned a John Phillips from Newcastle in 1871. We have speculated that this John was looking after Edward (born Wisbech 1846). The latter's wife Catherine was born in Newcastle and their daughter was born in Alnwick in 1874, placing Edward in the area.
Edward was in S Wales from 1875 to 1878; his sons being born in Abergavenny, Monmouth (see entry). For the period 1879-1881, Edward Phillips was a brewery manager, living in a house next to the Tyne Brewery. This company: Bells Robson & Co (Bell Bros) failed in 1881 and was bought by John Barras & Co in 1884. In April 1882, E Phillips brewer of Abergavenny and secretary of the Tyne Brewery was bankrupt. His trustee was James Strake of Abergavenny. In 1883 Edward was listed as a brewers' agent at 71 Westgate Road.
In 1880 John Smurthwaite (originally a shipbroker and builder) was the owner of the Mark Quay Brewery, 100 Low Street Sunderland. This traded as Smurthwaite & Alston with offices at 157 High Street, but was liquidated around 1883. Smurthwaite and Phillips then traded at the Marq Quay Brewery until their partnership ended in December 1886, although still in the directories in 1890 at 100 Low Street. In 1887 Phillips & Stewart were trading at 159 High Street East, Bishopwearmouth. In January 1888 described as Phillips & Stewart of the Low Street Brewery. The Marq Quay Brewery was apparently trading again as Smurthwaite & Alston in 1890.
In 1905 James Phillips, maltster of Alnwick, died aged 66. Although JP Simpson were maltsters in Alnwick and Simpsons the brewers of Baldock were related to the Phillips', James Simpson the founder of the malting business was the son of a Leeds butcher.
Thomas Phillips & Sons, Ardwick Bridge.
Listed in 1814 and in 1820 Thomas Ayres Phillips was a bankrupt brewer in Ardwick. Then in 1878 M Phillips was a brewer and farmer involved with a pub in Flixton and the Shakespeare Inn, York Street Hulme. These had passed to his son Marshall, but with a disputed liability case. The 1881 census shows Marshall John Phillips (b1856 Hulme) living at 29 Russell Street and described as a working brewer. This is an unlikely link, but East Anglian members of the Phillips family were married to Marshalls.
In 1928 a J Phillips was appointed a director of the Empress Brewery in Manchester, but the business was sold the following year.
Sir Thomas Phillips (1801-1867) was a lawyer and mayor of Newport in 1838, which gives the possibility of early links with the town. He died unmarried and one is tempted to wonder who inherited his estate.
Phillips & Son, Dock Road.
I have always been slightly puzzled by the move to Newport, despite the problems at Northampton. It may also have been linked to the death of Richard Phillips of Bicester in 1873 and Thomas's inheritance from his father. However, the 1881 census provides more details of the story:
|John Lewis 55||retired brewer|
|Anne Lewis 57||wife|
|Catherine Phillips 41||sister – widow|
In 1868 a John Lewis held the licence of the Britannia pub in Newport. We know that Thomas bought the brewery from Ald Thomas Floyd Lewis on 25th March 1874, and the census details show that John Lewis retired at an early age, perhaps through ill-health. The birthplace for the Lewis family was Llandovery, but presumably Catherine had married into the Phillips family. I wonder which Phillips she had married and who had clearly died at a young age in the 1870s (Possibly another brother Benjamin whose age was similar and whose movements have yet to be tracked?). Was it the combination of these and other events which caused Thomas to move from Northampton to Newport. His eldest son William (b1852) was a pupil at a Wrexham brewery at the time of the move. Interestingly, the Lewis home in the High Street, Llandingat, Carmarthen, was called "Royston House" which strengthens the possibility of the family links.
On 4th Feb 1876, Thomas was in partnership with his two eldest sons William and Edward (b1854). Their ages suggest that the purchase may have been linked to their coming of age and we know of Edward's problems at Northampton. The new business was much smaller than that at Northampton, with 13 pubs, of which 4 were owned and 9 leased. The output was only around 100 bpw. In 1875, they also established a wine & spirit business at the Star Hotel, Dock Street.
In 1877 Phillips Bros were listed at Haverfordwest, presumably a depot for Newport, but interesting a trading name which at the time was being used by the East Anglian branch of the family. This site had previously been linked with the Spring Gardens brewery of Edmond & Rees (or Rhees) in 1871, which closed by 1880, and a Phillips daughter married a Mr Rees.
The 1881 census for Palmyra House Palmyra Place, Newport identifies the following:
|E||27||"||" ,||son (presumably Edward)||brewer|
|F||24||"||" ,||son (presumably Frederick)||brewer|
There are some problems i.e. who is C? - the birth year fits with William, the first son said to have been at Wrexham in 1874, and it is possible that this is an error. However, where is the other son - Mark Thomas aged 16? Could he have been a boarding school pupil somewhere?
William "retired" from the Newport business in 1882 and went to live abroad. In June 1883 Frederick set up a separate concern in Station Street with his father. This was to supply the private trade. Meanwhile his brother Edward looked after the original brewery. However, the two were amalgamated in 1884 and in 1892 "Fred" was the head of the private company. Station Street was used as offices and bottle store. Another brother Walter Clifford also joined the Newport concern.
The Brewers Journal for 1887 states that Robert Iles Hewitt's Kingsdown Bwy Bristol had been bought by Messrs Thomas & Frederick Phillips; however, my database shows that the deal may have fallen through since Hewet (sic) later sold the business to Starkeys around 1890.
In 1887 a new 25 quarter brewery was erected at Newport. On 6th December 1890, there was a fire at the old brewery, which was being used as stores in Station Street. It caused £10,000 damage.
In 1892 Sidney was at Dock Road and on March 18th 1892, a limited company was formed, trading as Phillips & Sons Ltd, capitalised at £100,000, with directors: T Phillips, E Phillips, F Phillips and FF Phillips.
The latter would be Thomas's brother Frederick Foster, presumably "F" was Thomas's son Fred. Thomas then retired from the firm, living at Kemerton Court, Tewkesbury, and Edward became the chairman. On 30 Dec 1899, Thomas Phillips aged 75, died whilst out with the Cotswold Hunt. Meanwhile, Sidney had moved to a brewery in Totnes (see entry).
In 1898 new maltings were built at Penner Wharf and are still standing. In 1902 a new stable block was built in Mellon Street.
Thomas's oldest son William did not initially become involved in the new concern and in 1895 he was living in Texas. One is tempted to wonder whether his "retirement" was simply a move to overseas interests (NB James Henry Phillips and other members of the family had spent time in the US. William died on 1st June 1910, when his widow was Ida Gertrude and his executor HC Phillips - could this be his son and presumably the Lt Col Herbert Phillips MC, a Newport director in 1949?).
The Brewers Journal of 1885 mentions an Herbert Phillips trading as Phillips Bros, beer retailers at 33 Widden St Gloucester and 61 Lower Barton St. In 1888 "Hubert" Phillips trading as Phillips Bros at the same addresses was a bankrupt to be discharged 14 June 1889. This raises a problem in that any son of William would have been too young, so who was this Herbert? The Mortlake individual (see entry) seems unlikely.
In 1903/4 Lt Col Walter Clifford was mayor of Newport and in 1906/7 brother Fred was mayor.
Another of Thomas's sons Owen did not become involved with brewing, living with his father and in 1892 described as a farm pupil. He died 2nd May 1907, his widow being Ellen Laura. On 20th June 1947 Ellen Laura Phillips, and a NDH, a widow in Cheltenham died, power of attorney had been given to her son Richard Owen Phillips a publishers rep’ of Hosey Hill, Westerham Kent. It is not clear whether Richard died 22 May 1946 or whether this was the date of the will.
In May 1909 Frederick's son Frederick Gordon married. Then Frederick's daughter Frances married Mr Stratton on 6th Sep 1911. This was Maurice Stratton brewer, director of Newport in 1927, and later the MD. More importantly, Stratton's father was chairman of the Ashton Gate Brewery in Bristol, which may help to explain the later take-over. Another daughter Christine Mary married Major Joseph Edward Crawshay Partridge. The latter's third name may also reflect another brewing family. In 1910 Benjamin Powell who had been at the brewery for 52 years was made a director, he died in 1916 aged 87.
On 1st October 1911 there was a small fire at the brewery, which was put out by the staff. On 27th June 1912, there was another fire, caused by overheating in a grain dryer. In 1912 they bought the Pontnewynydd Brewery, Osborne Road, Pontypool.
On 13th September 1912 Frederick Foster Phillips died at the age of 83 in Reading. He was described as having managed the Dock Road business, which was slightly confusing in that he was not mentioned in the early days of the brewery, although he was a director of the limited company in 1892.
In October 1915 Wallace R Willmott, who had joined as 2nd brewer from the Welch Ale Brewery, was appointed head brewer on the retirement of F Gulliver.
On 9th January 1924, Capt Forrest Blake Phillips MC died aged 33 (Blake as a first name might link with the Oxford wine merchants). He was the son of Edward the chairman, who himself died of acute pneumonia on 26th November 1924, at the age of 72. His executors were his other son, Andrew Norman Phillips, and a Herbert Phillips. Herbert seems to have been in the Army and in 1927 power of attorney for his own affairs was granted to HN Phillips (this could be AN) and Mary Rees. Edward had lost two other sons in the war: Lt Edward Stone Phillips and Capt Leslie Phillips. His interest in the business passed to Andrew Norman. However, Edward's brothers Clifford and Frederick were ageing and hence in 1925, there were rumours of a merger with local rivals Lloyd & Yorath.
Perhaps to bring in fresh blood, in 1927 Maurice Stratton and Henry James Powell were made directors, the latter eventually provided 60 years of service to the business.
In 1929, Fred was appointed High Sheriff of Monmouthshire. In January 1930 Vincent C Phillips apparently retired as the head brewer and secretary of Wests of London; however, in 1933 August VCP was appointed general manager of rivals Lloyds, but died on 10th December. Could this have a connection with the possible merger of 1925.
In 1930s Phillips bought the Clytha Brewery, Dean Street Newport. On 23rd July 1936 Walter Clifford Phillips, solicitor died and on 23rd April 1936 Mark Thomas Phillips, described as a founder of the Newport Bwy, died in St Josephs Hospital in Victoria British Columbia aged 69. On 22 February 1937 Ald Fred Phillips the chairman died aged 79 and in May his son Lt Col Frederick Gordon Phillips became the new chairman, whilst Andrew Norman Phillips was the joint MD with Maurice Stratton. Fred's son Reginald Maurice Phillips does not seem to have taken an active interest in the brewery.
On 27 Feb 1947 Col Blethyn Treharne Rees became a director. He had married Edward's daughter Ethel Mary. (NB probably a coincidence, but in 1926 Rees Phillips was at the Camden Arms Brewery, Watton, Brecon).
On 19th January 1948 the chairman Frederick Gordon Phillips died and Andrew Norman the joint MD became the chairman (NB cousin Frank Henry died around 1947 was he a shareholder?).
In April 1949 the business was sold to Simonds and Lt Gen Sir Charles Allfrey became the joint MD (from Jacob Street Bwy Nov 1948). Directors: HJ Powell, Lt Col Herbert Phillips MC, RB St J Quarry, ED Simonds. On 24th Oct 1950 Lt Col Herbert Phillips died.
Maurice Stratton retired as general manager and was replaced by SC Saunders, the S Wales manager of Simonds. In April 1951 Frederick Gulliver the former head brewer died aged 90. In November 1954 the company was wound up, but brewed until 1968 and was then used as a depot for some years.
In 1876 the business was listed at 29 Monmouth Street. A Thomas Phillips was shown at Princes Street in 1887 and also in 1892 William was at 37 Claverton Street, Widcombe. However, these may be unconnected small brew- pubs. This certainly seems the case in 1887-95, when Frederick was listed at 27 Kingsmead Street, followed by a James in 1898.
In 1905 T Phillips of Bath took out a patent for a self-measuring spirit urn.
From 1876 to 1880 an Edward Phillips was listed at The Brewery in Baker Street, Abergavenny. In 1877 a William Phillips was involved with a brew- pub in New Hereford Road, although there is also one suggestion that he may also have been at The Brewery in Baker Street. Hence, there is a possibility of a connection with the not-so-far-away Newport Brewery which was run by the ex-Northampton branch of the Phillips family at the time.
The BJ of 1877 mentions the sale of Abergavveny, handled by Walfords solicitors, a name which crops up elsewhere. In 1878 there was a court case. The brewery had been put up for sale in 1877 by Collier & Co. Although Phillips was involved with the lease, the actual brewer was a Mr Joliffe. George Blizard attempted to buy it at oe8 500 for his son on 1 May 1878. The son aged 24 was a mining engineer living in Derby. Blizard had been bankrupt in 1876, but had since been discharged. This may be the Blizard or Blezard, previously brewing in Tewkesbury.
The directories are somewhat confusing regarding dates. Certainly there was a Royal Victoria Brewery in Baker Street, run by Joseph Cooke from 1870 to 1876. Brian Glover suggests this was the site occupied by Phillips, but there seems to be some overlapping of dates, since James Gough was at the Victoria brewery 1876-84.
William Phillips "retired" from Newport in 1882. At one time there was a possibility that he was involved with a Cardiff brewery, but the details of this concern rule this out, as follows:
Ship Brewery, Millicent Street
In 1848 this was run by a William Phillips and in 1868 shown as Phillips & Son. In 1880 William Jun., the following year William Phillips living at 34 Ely Road, Llandaff was a brewer aged 63 (b St Fagans). However, in 1883 Wm Phillips jun was bankrupt, but still listed until 1888.
In 1888 Wm Phillips & Co Ltd was registered, capital £20 000, to acquire Morgan Rees Williams of Cardiff (Brewers Journal 1888 p.519). Then for 1888 - 1890 it traded as W Phillips & Co Ltd. Then until 1899 it traded as the Ship Bwy Co Ltd, until acquired by Ely Brewery.
Black Lion Brewery.
In 1897 this was run by Col Thomas Phillips, from at least 1891. In 1899 it was run by a Thomas Phillips. Although the names are similar no direct links have been established.
Carmarthen United Brewery
James Phillips was a director in 1899.
Spread Eagle Brewery, Upper Clwyd Street, Ruthin
In 1895 run by a Charles Phillips.
In 1892 JW Phillips and J Chalmers of Swansea took out a patent for cooling wort. In 1895 William Henry Phillips was the manager for Watkins (Hereford) at 31 Wind Street, Swansea.
It may be yet another pure coincidence, but in the 1980s, the chairman of the Welsh brewers Buckleys was a Grifith WG Phillips, a Cardiff stockbroker. One last one for this area - in January 1941 Thomas Richards Phillips was a director of the Ely brewery.
In the next issue Mike looks at the influence of the Phillips dynasty in the southern counties of England.