Copyright © 2003 the Brewery History Society

Journal Homepage

Journal Home > Archive > Issue Contents > Brew. Hist., 111, pp. 3-14

Three Pubs in the South East

by Pat Saunders

Old Jail Inn: Cudham, Kent

Two cottages and a piece of land called Jail Field containing about 8 acres were conveyed 14th October 1850 to William Lewis of Down, Kent, Brewer. William Lewis with his trustee George Blundell paid the sum of £280 to Mrs. Kitty Anne St. John Mildmay of Westerham, widow. She had previously purchased this property for £267 from the surviving Devisee in trust of the Will of the late John Warde esq. on 15th December 1849.

Between 1850 and 1855 William Lewis converted the two cottages into a beerhouse and erected the adjoining Brewery. This is then referred to when on 25th March 1855 William Lewis obtained a mortgage of £150 from Mr. George Crane of Cudham, victualler (but later described as a carpenter & builder) using the premises as security. On 25th March 1858, the mortgage was further endorsed with a loan of £100 from George Crane to William Lewis. The property was to remain encumbered with this principal mortgage of £250 until 17th April 1917 when the property was conveyed to Bushell, Watkins & Smith for £1,620.

The mortgagee George Crane died 22nd March 1875, in his Will (dated 22nd March 1875 and proved 20th May 1875) his widow Caroline Merry Crane was appointed his executor. The mortgage of £250 was transferred from Caroline Merry Crane on 4th August 1875 to Miss Mary Buckeridge of Reading, spinster. A year later, on 2nd June 1876 the mortgage was transferred from Mary Buckeridge to Henry John Lane of Cannon Street, City of London.

William Lewis died 6th January 1880 leaving three surviving children, Thomas, Kezia Peacock and Sarah Frances Butler, all of whom were tenants in common in the property. Under his Will (proved 26th February 1880), the property was left to his son Thomas Lewis for life then to his son Christopher Lewis for life, then to his daughters Sarah Frances Butler and Kezia Peacock for life and upon their death the property to be sold and equally divided between the testator's grandchildren then living. However, Christopher Lewis died 12th December 1879 at the age of 40 from Bright's Disease, heart disease and chronic bronchitis.

As a tenant for life, Thomas Lewis was able to lease the property to Messrs Fox & Sons for a 21-year term, from 29th September 1884 for a rent of £55 a year. In 1884 Thomas Lewis was described as the innkeeper of the "Jail Inn". A second lease for a further 21 years was granted to Thomas Hamilton Fox and Walter St. John Fox of Oak Brewery, Farnborough, Kent, from 29 September 1905 at a yearly rent of £75. Sarah Frances Butler and her husband Charles granted this. Thomas Lewis had died 12th June 1892 and Kezia Peacock had died 12th June 1904. During the term of the first lease, Messrs Fox as landlords appointed Richard Cowland as tenant of the "Jail Inn", in an agreement dated 10th December 1891.

Before the expiry of the second lease, Messrs Fox & Sons had taken out mortgages with Francis Robert Middleton Phillips of No.3 Finsbury Circus, London of the firm of solicitors "Gush, Phillips, Walters & Williams". One of the properties used as security, on 13th March 1906 was the leasehold of the "Jail Inn". Messrs Fox and their mortgagees for £450 assigned the residue of the term's lease to Bushell, Watkins & Smith, on 26th August 1909.

With the mortgage on the freehold, this was transferred again on 30th November 1892. The mortgagee Henry John Lane expressed the desire to sell the property to recover his money, although all interest had been paid in full. As Sarah Frances Butler and Kezia Peacock held a life interest following the death of their brother Thomas Lewis, they found a new mortgagee to discharge the incumbency of £328 (principal mortgage plus costs and expenses) to Henry John Lane. The Rev.'d Charles Howard Thompson of Bournemouth, Hants., provided the necessary money.

The next mortgage transfer to take place was 30th November 1900. During this time the Rev.'d Charles Howard Thompson died 20th November 1899, in his will (dated 20th June 1891); Alexander Frederick Rooke was appointed sole executor. However he died 26th July 1900 without having administered the estate of Rev.'d Thompson. A. F. Rooke's own Will (dated 22nd May 1900) appointed Ernest Wallace Rooke and Mortimer Rooke as executors. These two then transferred the mortgage to the widow Edith Harriet Rooke, as she was beneficially entitled to the principal sum of £328.

Similarly on 28th April 1909, Edith Harriet Rooke wanted the mortgage discharged. Kezia Peacock had died 12th June 1904 leaving Sarah Frances Butler the sole survivor and tenant of the "Jail Inn". She was required to pay £14-0s-3d estate duty in November 1908, as the estate of Kezia Peacock (namely the "Jail Inn") had been valued at £800. The new mortgagee was William Oram of Woodlands Road, Redhill. He died 5th December 1913 appointing his wife Annie Oram as executor. On 5th December 1913 she transferred the mortgage to Herbert Arthur Howe, a solicitor and his wife Fanny, of 43 Friends Road, Croydon and George Frederick Howe, a barrister of 53 Lee Park Blackheath, Kent.

Following the death of Sarah Frances Butler 19th February 1918, Thomas Lewis's daughter Annie appointed her husband Thomas Frederick Gatland, a gardener as trustee for the property. He, with the mortgagees H.A. Howe, Fanny Howe and G.F. Howe conveyed the freehold to Bushell, Watkins & Smith, on 17th April 1919 for £1,620, out of this sum, £365 was paid to the mortgagees.

Source O.22 Title Deeds at Godalming, Surrey (Allied Breweries History Project 1987-8)
Source O.22 Title Deeds at Godalming, Surrey (Allied Breweries History Project 1987-8)


Stag Inn and Brewery, Eashing, near Godalming

Lascelles, Tickner & Co Ltd of Guildford acquired the property "Stag Inn" in March 1894. However its deeds show it existed in 1771 when it was conveyed from William Gill of Eashing esq. to John Sharp also of Eashing, gentleman for £150. He retained it until his death. In his will of 21st January 1792 John Sharp bequeathed it to his widow Elizabeth. She and her two sons, John Sharp Jr of Send Surrey mealman and James Sharp of Southwark mealman sold the property to John Smith of Eashing, Surrey, mealman for £200.

John Smith had died by September 1817 and he bequeathed the property to his brother Richard Smith, his friend Thomas Henett as well as the testator's son John Smith Jr. Thomas Henett died 10th January 1826 and was buried at Seal near Farnham. Richard Smith died 1st March 1833 and was buried at Godalming. This left John Smith Jr sole owner of the property until 1849. He had two daughters, the eldest was married to George Blackman, and the second daughter Margaret remained single.

Stag Inn, Eashing, near Godalming (plan from deed of 31 December 1850)
Stag Inn, Eashing, near Godalming (plan from deed of 31 December 1850)

On 5th January 1849 John Smith took out a mortgage of £250 from Thomas Othen (of Midhurst, plumber and glazier), plus a further sum of £350 payable on 5th July 1850. However John Smith died 5th April 1850. His son-in-law George Blackman of Eashing victualler purchased the property for £550 and out of this sum £369-9s was paid to Thomas Othen. John Smith had made his will on 13th April 1845 and added a Codicil on 10th May 1849. He appointed his good friends Richard and Arthur Whitbourn as executors and trustees of his estate, with the proviso that they gave first refusal to George Blackman for the purchase of his estate. (Margaret Smith would have second refusal).

The executors Richard Whitbourn Jr of Godalming gentleman and Arthur Whitbourn of Guildford corn dealer conveyed the property to George Blackman on 31 December 1850. On the same day George Blackman secured a mortgage of £550 with interest from William Othen, plumber, painter & glazier and Frederick Mellersh.

George Blackman and his wife had two sons, John and Frederick. The mortgagee William Othen died 13th April 1871. It was not until 13th April 1883 that the mortgage, at the direction of George Blackman was transferred to Frederick Mellersh and Robert Edmund Mellersh both of Godalming, bankers (it remained a sum of £300). This memorandum to the Indenture established the ownership of four cottages erected on the site by Frederick Blackman as being vested in him. Frederick Blackman was described as a butler at the Wyndham Club, St. James, London.

George Blackman died 12th February 1890, he had made a Will on 13th April 1863 in which he bequeathed his estate in equal parts to his sons Frederick and John. Following the death of his wife, George added a Codicil on 15th May 1886 in which he increased the legacies to his children. Having inherited the estate both Frederick and John acknowledged that a mortgage of £300 was still owing to Messrs Frederick and Robert Edmund Mellersh. John agreed to sell his half to Frederick for £400, providing that Frederick accepted full responsibility for the mortgage. The site included with the "Stag Inn", the garden, the clubroom otherwise known as Odd Fellows Hall, stables, all the fixtures of the brewing plant and brewing utensils. The conveyance from John Blackman of Eashing a coachman to his brother Frederick, butler at 64 Camberwell New Road, Surrey, was made on 18th November 1890.

Frederick Blackman then retained the property for a further four years but it is unlikely he continued with brewing. On 10th March 1894, he was described as licensed victualler of the "Stag Inn", when the property was conveyed to Lascelles Tickner Co for £1,700. Robert Mellersh had died 4th February 1893, and was soon followed on 16th June 1893 by Frederick Mellersh. The latter's Will appointed his wife and sons as executors, they received the sum of £300 out of the sale.

Source S44 Title Deeds at Godalming, Surrey (Allied Breweries History Project 1987-8)
Source S44 Title Deeds at Godalming, Surrey (Allied Breweries History Project 1987-8)


Sun Inn and Brewery premises, Wharf Street, Godalming

The "Sun Hotel" stands on the corner of Wharf Street and Bridge Street in Godalming; on 2nd October 1970 it had a building preservation order placed on it and listed as a building of historical or architectural importance. It had been purchased [in part] by William Bridger, 9th & 10th July 1779 from Henry Keen, grandson of Elizabeth Keen (nee Elizabeth Sutton only child & heir of – Sutton deceased before her marriage (nee Fen) sister & heir of Henry Fenn deceased). On 20th January 1794 William Bridger took out a mortgage with Mary Gilham and John Begent. It would appear this was discharged by September 1805.

On 30th September 1805 the property was conveyed from William Bridger to William Grigg for £160. It was tenanted by Joseph Grigg late of Mary Grigg her undertenant. William Grigg by 7th January 1819 was at Shepherd's Market, Mayfair, a coal merchant when he conveyed the property to John Balchin the younger of Godalming, carpenter for £200. On 14th January 1819 John Balchin the Younger took out a mortgage of £100 with James Bogue of Guildford gentleman.

The property was leased to tenants as an assignment dated 8th November 1833 for a term of 1,000 years recites earlier lease agreements involving William Smeed and his father William Gurney Smeed. On 10th October 1812 William Gurney Smeed had been paid £800 by Elizabeth Snelson for the tenancy of the property known as "The Sun' but previously known as "The Half Moon'; formerly occupied by Henry Edwards, afterwards of Henry Tuesley, since of John Bradley then of William Hart, since of William Gurney Smeed, his undertenants or assigns and lately of Sarah Smeed widow. Proviso added whereby William Smeed could repay the £800 [a mortgage]. William Gurney Smeed repaid this £800 to Elizabeth Snelson on 24th April 1821. The property was then vested in Henry Marshall in trust for Henry Holland and Richard Haydon to secure to them the repayment of £92-10s secured in a mortgage dated 13th October 1812.

William Gurney Smeed's last Will was dated 28th March 1821 and he left the premises for the use of Henry Portsmouth Elphs and William Elphs Holland. William Gurney Smeed died 21st April 1821, then Richard Haydon died 10th November 1829 and then on 3rd July 1833 Henry Portsmouth Elphs died. In the assignment dated 8th November 1833 William Smeed of Godalming, victualler paid £912-10s to Henry Holland and a further sum of £912-10s to William Elphs Holland and the property held in trust by George Marshall. The lease was held by James Limbert, trustee to William Smeed.

Also on 8th November 1833 and his trustee secured a mortgage of £1200 with interest from Messrs Thomas Mellersh, William Street and James Stedman. Two years later on 8th November 1835 saw the Release of "The Sun" and hereditments from Henry Holland of Godalming manufacturer and others (William Elphs Holland of Thorncomb Street, Bramley, Surrey yeoman; George Smeed of Godalming, Common Brewer; Daniel Wyeth of Godalming, carrier and Mary Ann his wife) to William Smeed and his trustee James Limbert of Godalming gentleman.

A land tax certificate (No. 16225) for William Smeed dated 31st October 1838 describes a messuage lately converted into two tenements with a Malthouse now being erected thereon and other outbuildings and a piece of garden ground & yard adjoining thereto. Assessment 7 shillings. Property [house] owned by William Smeed, occupied by Mrs. Payne.

Sunn Inn and Brewery, Godalming (plan from deed of 5 July 1877
Sunn Inn and Brewery, Godalming (plan from deed of 5 July 1877

Also in 1838, a release for 6th March for the purpose of Caving Entail in certain freehold heredits in Godalming and for conveying the same to the uses within mentioned. From John Paine of No. 1 Whites Row, Spitalfield, Middlesex, labourer and Ann his wife to William Smeed and his trustee Henry Marshall. The Release recites that on 5th July 1790 the last will of Richard Paine of Godalming, labourer in possession of a messuage and garden, who soon afterwards died, the property was left to his son John Paine. John Paine agreed to sell the property to William Smeed for £250. (The messuage bought by Richard Paine a maltster, 20th April 741 from Jonathan Painter of Godalming baker; plus copy of Will of Richard Paine. Baptism of John Paine 14th April 1833 at Christchurch, Middlesex, born 5th November 1783 the son of John & Judith Payne of Godalming, labourer. John and Judith Payne married 21st April 1782 at Godalming. Burial of John Paine 19th September 1824 who died aged 72). This property adjoined "The Sun" in Bridge Street.

The freeholder John Balchin is also referred to in the documents, a copy of his baptism certificate for 29th October 1834. His parents were John and Sarah Balchin of high street, Godalming; his father was a carrier. On 29th October 1842 an IOU shows John Balchin borrowed £1 from Mr. G. Woods. A valuation dated 5th October 1855 for the property of John Balchin described as a freehold stone built and tiled dwelling House, Offices and Garden situate near the "Sun Inn" Godalming, valued it at £270. John Balchin died aged 60 and was buried 14th March 1847. The 1856 Abstract of Title shows the mortgage was paid off but that "John Balchin died intestate leaving John Balchin his eldest son and heir. On 8th August 1856 John Frederick Balchin of Godalming, carpenter conveyed this property which included a carpenter's shop to William Smeed of Godalming, Brewer for £270.

It would seem the site for the "Sun Inn" comprised of more than one property. It is noted that William Smeed owned the "Sun Inn", which he inherited from his father William Gurney Smeed, who had died 21st April 1821. The estate was subject to a mortgage. William Smeed had at least two trustees, George Marshall and James Limbert. William Gurney Smeed had bought the "Sun Inn" from John Gardner, a grocer for £2,000. In 1838 William Smeed erected a malthouse. He then purchased the adjoining property that had been owned by John Balchin.

On 14th April 1869 the following parties signed a counterpart lease,

  1. George Alexander Gale of Horndean, Hants., brewer with George Shelly of Brighton Sx, butcher
  2. Stephen Edward Bateman of Godalming, Brewer and Emma his wife (formerly Emma Smeed), and
  3. John Hodson, formerly of Bow, Middlesex. Brewery Manager, but now of Godalming.

This document recites an Indenture of settlement of 17th August 1864 made between Emma Bateman (the Emma Smeed), Stephen Edward Bateman and thirdly Messrs Gale and Shelly. With the consent of Emma Bateman, Messrs Gale and Shelly leased the site to John Hodson. The schedule listed

  1. "Sun Inn" with former brewhouse now used as a laundry
  2. Brewhouse erected by S.E. Bateman on the site of an old garden in Bridge Street, Godalming (on SW side of which is "Sun")
  3. "George" High Street, Godalming (formerly called "Red Cow" and formerly owned by Mary Danvers)
  4. "Three Lions" Leanaways Cross near Farncomb
  5. "The Star" pH Farncombe, Church Road, Godalming
  6. "The White Horse Inn" Hascombe, surrey with orchard
  7. piece of ground called the "Hatch" with dwelling house, Godalming, and
  8. "Woolpack" pH Elstead

These were leased to John Hodson for 14 years at a rent of £300, paid quarterly

In the 1860s it appears that evidence of William Smeed's demise is missing. It could be assumed he had only one surviving child or heir, Emma Smeed1. She married Stephen Bateman who like William Smeed was a brewer. A marriage settlement for 17th August 1864 is referred to. Emma Bateman died 13th December 1875; her eldest son William Smeed was heir to her estate.

On 1st May 1877 John Hodson transferred his lease to Thomas Bosville Boteler Baverstock of Godalming, brewer as he had a vested interest through a mortgage. John Hodson had also moved from Godalming to 3 The Terrace, Clapham Common and was described as "gentleman". In the schedule though it was stated the "The Star" at Farncombe was no longer a pub and had been converted to two tenements and was returned to Messrs Gale & Shelly.

Then on 5th July 1877 freehold hereditments situate at Godalming and Farncombe, Surrey along with release of copyhold hereditments situate at Elstead, Surrey were conveyed from the Trustees of the settlement executed on the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. S.E. Bateman to Mr. Alfred Agate Sr., for £10,000. In the agreement Messrs Gale and Shelly received this money as they were the trustees and relinquished any claim to the properties. The schedule of the properties was as follows,

The copyhold property ‘The Woolpack’ in Farncombe Manor in a separate conveyance, from William Smeed, gentleman at the direction of Messrs Gale & Shelly to Alfred Agate the Elder for £400 that was paid to Gale and Shelly. William Smeed had been admitted to the Rolls in place of his deceased mother on 6th May 1877.

Then in a covenant and declaration dated 24th September 1892 with reference to Sun Brewery, Bridge Street, Godalming involving the following parties,

  1. Alfred Agate, Horsham, Sussex gentleman and John Allden of Tougham, Surrey gentleman
  2. Lascelles, Tickner & Co Ltd of Castle Brewery, Guildford
  3. George Tickner, Boughton Lodge, Putney, Surrey and Alfred William Mellersh of Godalming esq. (the trustees)
  4. Joseph Inwood of High Street, Godalming, coal merchant

Recites the conveyance of 1st October 1891 made between 1. Alfred Agate and 2. Lascelles Company. Lascelles Company paid £12,000 worth of Debenture Stock (no. 601 to 720) plus £13,000 cash to Alfred Agate. He then sold 5 of the Debentures to John Allden. An Indenture made 2nd October 1891 between the Lascelles Company and the ‘Trustees’ for part of the freehold of the ‘Sun Brewery’ to be held in trust as security for the Debentures. On 9th January 1892, Lascelles Co contracted with Joseph Inwood to sell a certain designated portion in the middle of the ‘Sun Brewery’ site, which was later found not to be affected by the Trust on the Debenture Stock.

On 15th December 1891 saw a sale by auction in three lots by Messrs Mellersh on a site near Sun Brewery of,

A shop, cottage and premises situate in Bridge Street, Godalming were leased year to year from 6th November 1892 from Lascelles Tickner & Co to Mr. John Agate gentleman. The first year’s rent being £5 and there after £25, payable quarterly. John Agate was to purchase beer and wine stock from the company. This lease was then assigned 13th May 1893 from John Agate with the agreement of Lascelles Co to Ernest Albert Agate. Here the deeds of some twenty-two documents come to an end.

Source S67 Title Deeds at Godalming, Surrey (Allied Breweries History Project 1987-8)
Source S67 Title Deeds at Godalming, Surrey (Allied Breweries History Project 1987-8)




John Janaway states that Stephen Bateman was Emma Smeed’s second husband. See N.O. Faulkner "Allied Breweries A Long Life" 1988.

Copyright © 2003 the Brewery History Society