Brewery History Society

The Brewery History Society: Defunct Brewery Liveries



London East (E postal districts)
Defunct Brewery Livery

5 June 2017

Return to the Defunct Index Page

County Brewery Location Premises Description Contributors Photo?
Gone?

London E 1

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Aldgate, 1 Little Somerset Street Still & Star A sign board to the side wall with 'STILL AND STAR' and 'CHARRINGTON' lettering above a 'Toby' motif in silhouette superimposed upon a Bass 'red triangle' motif. This pub also retains Charrington's leaded windows. TrC photo 2016 Picture

London E 1

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Mile End, 230 Mile End Road Kings Arms (former) Taylor Walker 'cannon' above the hanging sign. No longer a pub. SP 2009 .

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Mile End, 400 Mile End Road Bancroft Arms A 1930s corner pub by A E Sewell for Trumans. On the Mile End Road side, the fascia has 'BURTON BITTER ... TRUMAN'S ... LONDON ALES' and a panel at parapet level with 'TRUMANS'. On the Harford Street side, the fascia has 'ALES STOUT ... TRUMAN'S ... AND WINES' and a large illuminated letter sign at parapet level with 'TRUMAN BEERS'. GB 2002; BL 2002; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Shadwell, 139 Leman Street Brown Bear A large Taylor Walker letter sign along the roofline. There is also a surviving Ind Coope window. Inside is a magnificent Allsopp's mirror. SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Meux's Brewery Co Ltd - Horseshoe Breweries: London WC1 and SW8 Shadwell, 232 Cable Street Britannia (former) Closed 1996 and converted to residential. Faded painted lettering is still visible on the fascia: 'MEUX'S FAMOUS STOUT AND ALES'. TrC 2014 .

London E 1

Mann, Crossman & Paulin - London & Burton-upon-Trent Shadwell, 513 Cable Street Kings Arms (former) This pub has been converted to flats. In a shallow recess above the corner door it has an old (1930s?) sign 'KINGS ARMS' over 'MANN CROSSMAN PAULIN CELEBRATED BROWN ALE' in the style of a bottle label - very similar to the one at the Little Crown, London, SE16. The sign has been nicely restored. SRH 2007; TrC photo 2013 Picture

London E 1

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Shadwell, 56 Cannon Street Road Crown & Dolphin (former) The pub was closed in 2002 and has been converted to flats. The hanging sign survives with faded 'CHARRINGTON' lettering. TrC 2015 .

London E 1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Shadwell, 72 Back Church Lane Dog & Truck A 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' roundel above the hanging sign. TrC 2014 .

London E 1

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Shoreditch, 199 Shoreditch High Street Norfolk Village (demolished) Gold raised lettering on black panel between first and second floor windows - 'CHARRINGTON - EST 1757'. The pub was demolished in 2004 in connection with the East London line extension. BL 2003; WRB 2006 .
GONE

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Shoreditch, 226 Shoreditch High Street Crown & Shuttle The pub reopened in 2013 after a period of about 12 years' dormancy. The fascia has raised lettering: 'TRUMAN'S ALES AND STOUT'. BL 2003; WRB photo 2006; TrC 2014 Picture

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Shoreditch, 64 Shoreditch High Street White Horse This pub was re-built for Trumans in 1931. It has two surviving Truman's windows with a gold eagle in a roundel, and the decorative ironwork features the initial 'T'. SRH photo 2006; WRB photo 2007 Picture

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Spitalfields, 110 Commercial Street Golden Heart The pub, very close to the former brewery, is a good survivor of an interwar Truman pub by company architect A E Sewell, built 1934-1936. On the exterior, a very large letter sign (formerly neon-lit) 'TRUMAN'S' on the parapet; below this a tiled panel with the pub name in relief, and below this, a roundel with a Truman Eagle. There is also a pretty leaded window with 'Trumans' in script in the central panel. Inside, various Truman beers are advertised in gold lettering along the top of interwar wood panelling (cf. the Cubitt Arms, E14 and Hope & Anchor, W6). Three of the four fireplaces carry the Truman eagle, carved in brick, and one has a fixed Truman mirror over. A listed building. GB 2003; PCo 2005; SRH photo 2006; WRB photo 2006; KR 2006; SP 2009 Picture

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Spitalfields, 157 Brick Lane Jolly Butchers (former) By A E Sewell for Trumans, 1920s. At first-floor level, a fine tiled wall panel - raised gold lettering on beige tiles - 'THE JOLLY BUTCHERS ... TRUMAN HANBURY BUXTON & Co. Ltd.'. BL 2003; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Spitalfields, 40-42 Commercial Street Princess Alice Two painted board signs, one at each side of the corner splay to the first floor. They feature the brewery's 'eagle' logo and Truman lettering. TrC 2014 .

London E 1

Whitbread - the national brewery conglemerate Spitalfields, 42 Osborn Street Archers Tavern Mounted above the hanging sign facing Old Montague Street: 'WHITBREAD PLC ... 1742' in an oval around the brewery's 'deer' trademark, surrounded by hop leaf and barley decoration. TrC 2014 .

London E 1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Spitalfields, 49 Brick Lane Seven Stars (former) Closed in 2002 and converted to a restaurant. A board to the south wall has fading painted lettering: 'WATNEYS ... ALES & STOUT ... COOLED LAGERS'. TrC 2014; RMi 2016 .

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Spitalfields, 54 Brushfield Street Gun (demolished) Truman's livery of modern appearance, well-maintained. Includes painted fascia and board signs; lanterns; and an oval plaque. Reported demolished in 2015. WRB photo 2006; TrC 2016 Picture
GONE

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Spitalfields, 69 Brick Lane Laurel Tree (former) Decorative terracotta panels on the frontage: an unusual stylised 'THB' left; 'THE LAUREL TREE' centre; '1901' right. The pub is long closed and the premises are currently in use as a hairdressers salon. The Truman logo in this form may be unique. WRB photo 2006; SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Spitalfields, 84 Commercial Street Ten Bells Etched windows - 'Truman Hanbury & Buxton'. Deteriorating painted Truman fascias. Fabulous tiling inside. GB 2003; PM 2003; PCo 2005; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Spitalfields, 91 Brick Lane Truman Hanbury Buxton (former brewery) Much of the Black Eagle Brewery survives with Truman signs and features, including a large chimney with 'TRUMAN', and several eagles. The streets around the brewery includes Black Eagle Street, Hanbury Street and Buxton Street. WRB photo 2006; SP photo 2009 Picture

London E 1

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Stepney, 141a White Horse Road Fish & Ring (former) This pub is closed but retains a fairly complete Charrington's frontage, probably 1930s, including a total of five Charrington's plaques on its exterior. Two 'House of Toby' tiled plaques and two 'Toby Jug' plaques; at the top of the building, a 'Flying Tankard' plaque with the date 1767 - newer looking than the one at the Bohola House, E2. Converted to residential use in about 1999. SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Stepney, 156-158 Commercial Road Mackworth Arms (former) This pub closed some time between 1983 and 1986 and the premises are now in use as a clothing shop. The upper floor exterior includes 'COMBE'S BROWN ALE ... REID'S STOUT' in gold lettering on a red band across the top of the building; this is now faded and starting to become illegible. By 2016, the tiling had been painted over, and is now effectively illegible. SRH photo 2006; TrC 2017 Picture
OBSCURED

London E 1

John Furze & Co Whitechapel, E1 Stepney, 230 Commercial Road Lord Nelson (former) Converted to retail. Carved in the stonework of the fascia are two shields with St George's cross - thought to be the trade mark of Furze's brewery. KSm 2013; SP photo 2013 Picture

London E 1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Stepney, 240 Commercial Road Hungerford Arms The pub retains a projecting 'Watney Combe Reid' roundel. SP 2013 .

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Stepney, 269 Stepney Way (corner of Diggon Street) Clare Hall (former) By A E Sewell, 1920s. Converted to a chicken takeaway shop. On the parapet of one elevation is a large stone panel with 'TRUMAN'S'. On the corner splay, two tiled stone panels with raised lettering: the second floor one has the pub name; the first floor one has a Black Eagle trademark in a roundel and 'TRUMAN'S'. Hidden beneath the modern fascia signs is tiled lettering which can be seen on our 2000 photograph: 'ALES - TRUMAN'S - STOUT' and 'WINES - BURTON ALES - TRUMAN'S - LONDON STOUT - SPIRITS'. BHu photo 2000; GB 2003; KR photo 2006; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Stepney, 36 Globe Road Horn of Plenty A Truman lantern to the Alderney Road fascia, left side. TrC 2016 .

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Stepney, 474 Commercial Road Royal Duke (former) This pub closed in 1995 and the premises are now in use as a supermarket. Above the corner door is a stone panel with good chunky incised lettering: 'THE ROYAL DUKE ... TRUMAN, HANBURY, BUXTON AND COMPANY.'. SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Stepney, 543-547 Commercial Road Royal Duchess (demolished) A rebuilt postwar pub. In a panel between ground floor windows of the Head Street frontage, there is an unusual large Charrington's Toby logo. The pub was demolished in about 2016 to be replaced by a block of flats. TrC 2014; Google photo 2015; TrC 2017 Picture
GONE

London E 1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Stepney, 91 Stepney Way Artichoke Closed 2001 and boarded up. A 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' roundel tops the pole sign. TrC 2014 .

London E 1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Stepney, 93-95 Commercial Road Gloster Arms (former) Converted to retail. It retains a projecting 'Watney Combe Reid' roundel. SP 2013 .

London E 1

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Wapping, 1 Green Bank Turks Head (former) This pub is long-closed (certainly closed pre-1983) and in use as a cafe and workshops. But it retains an excellent Taylor Walker pale brown tiled frontage, with three tiled friezes between the ground floor windows: 'THE TURK'S HEAD ... BARLEY MOW BEERS ... THE TURK'S HEAD. Above the ground floor windows, each side has 'Fine Ales ... TAYLOR WALKER & Co's ... & Stout', again in tilework. This livery is thought to date from 1927, when the pub was substantially rebuilt. SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Wapping, 14 Watts Street Turner's Old Star Three Taylor Walker lanterns - probably 1970s. SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Wapping, 22 Dock Street Pepper Pot House (Sir Sidney Smith) By A E Sewell for Trumans, 1930s. Parts of the cream and dark green frontage have been painted black. The painted-over tiled fascia has raised gold lettering: 'ALES ... TRUMANS ... STOUT'. At second floor level is a rectangular panel with a gilded Truman eagle and the original pub name 'SIR SIDNEY SMITH'. Above the third floor windows is a large rectangular panel with 'TRUMAN'S'. Four Truman lanterns at ground floor level have been removed. SG 2001; GB 2003; SRH photo 2006; KR photo 2006; TrC 2014; Google 2014 Picture

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Wapping, 61 Garnet Street Three Suns (former) This pub has three panels of decorative cut brick - similar to those at the Laurel Tree and the Frying Pan in Brick Lane. Included is a Truman's panel with lettering 'TRUMAN HANBUR(Y) BUXTON & CO LTD' and decoration including a sun. The pub was built in 1880 and the brick decor probably dates from then. The pub closed in 1986 and is now an off-licence. SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Whitechapel, 135 Cannon Street Road Golden Lion (former) Closed in around 1989 and converted to a restaurant. On the Cannon Street Road frontage, an arched hanging sign bracket survives with the name 'TAYLOR WALKER' painted out. TrC 2015 .

London E 1

Mann, Crossman & Paulin - London & Burton-upon-Trent Whitechapel, 333-335 Whitechapel Road Mann Crossman & Paulin (former brewery) Some of the brewery buildings survive, as does an arch over the entrance with 'MANN CROSSMAN & PAULIN Ltd' in gold applied letters; the arch has 'George and Dragon' motifs each side at its base. There is also a stone 'George and Dragon' in relief below the clock above the first floor. WRB photo 2006; SP photo 2009; TrC 2015 Picture

London E 1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Whitechapel, 337 Whitechapel Road Blind Beggar A 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' roundel tops a projecting sign frame. Large circular sign on the end wall, includes 'WATNEY COMBE REID' in a circle around a stag (badly degraded), and the pub name beneath. Two curved 'WATNEY COMBE REID' letter signs above the picture windows. TrC 2014 .

London E 1

Courage Ltd - London, Bristol, etc Whitechapel, 44 Commercial Road Castle Two small square projecting signs with Gold Courage cockerel on red background - on the Commercial Road and Goodmans Stile frontages; also a projecting gold Courage cockerel to the Commercial Road frontage. All the Courage signs removed by 2016. TrC 2014; TrC 2017 .
GONE

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Whitechapel, 8 Tapp Street Lion (former) A Truman's board sign on the north wall facing the railway. Converted to residential use. CP 2007 and 2009 after CAMRA mag .

London E 1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Whitechapel, 87 Turner Street Good Samaritan A Truman's Eagle logo on the upper walls, in a roundel with art deco detailing. Carved into the stone of the roundel is "Est 1666", but this has been painted over and is barely visible. This pub was rebuilt to the designs of A E Sewell in 1937. SRH photo 2006; KR photo 2006 Picture

London E 1

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Whitechapel, 89 Whitechapel High Street White Hart A Taylor Walker 'cannon' mounted above the hanging sign. SP 2013 .

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 12 Chilton Street Britannia (former) This pub is closed and in residential use. It remains fully fronted in green faience tiles and includes a tiled fascia: (elevation 1) 'TRUMANS BURTON BREWED PALE & OLD ALES'; (elevation 2) 'STOUT ... MILD ALE ... PORTER'. Also one Truman's lantern. SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 137 Hackney Road Flying Scud (demolished) Relatively modern painted board signs - gold on dark blue. The fascia includes: 'TRUMAN FINE ALES'. On the corner splay - much missing - the pub name and a Truman eagle. The pub was demolished in 2009. BL 2003; GB 2003; WRB photo 2006; ANi 2009; WRB 2009; CP 2009; SRH 2009 Picture
GONE

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 143 Bethnal Green Road Well & Bucket A pub which closed and then reopened. What appears to be an old painted fascia has been revealed, with gold lettering: 'TRUMAN'S BEERS ... WELL & BUCKET ... WINES & SPIRITS'. SP photo 2014 Picture

London E 2

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Bethnal Green, 2 Hackney Road George & Dragon (closed) On the corner splay, a large wooden painted panel - 'WATNEY COMBE REID ... Established (cursive) ... 1898'. Then the name of the pub and pictorial George and Dragon. BL 2003; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 222 Bethnal Green Road Crown (former) Fine faience tiles on the parapet: 'THE CROWN ... TRUMAN HANBURY BUXTON & COY LTD'. Also a deteriorating painted sign on the wall below: 'BURTON BREWED PALE ALES'. The pub is long-closed and the premises are now in use as a dry cleaners. Similar to the nearby SHAKESPEARE (qv). WRB photo 2006; SRH photo 2006; SP 2014 Picture

London E 2

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Bethnal Green, 230 Bethnal Green Road Green Gate (former) The remains of the projecting sign with 'Taylor Walker' and the cannon device. Now a shop. SP 2009 .

London E 2

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Bethnal Green, 255 Globe Road Florist Arms A projecting 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' circle around a 'Stag' device above the sign bracket to the former hanging sign. TrC 2014 .

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 287 Cambridge Heath Road Green Man - boarded up Fascia - gold lettering on green tiles - 'TRUMANS BEERS' etc. In 2006, reported removed. BL 2003; SRH 2006 .
GONE

London E 2

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Bethnal Green, 339 Cambridge Heath Road Dundee Arms A Taylor Walker 'cannon' - painted black - above the hanging sign. TrC 2014 .

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 397 Bethnal Green Road Old George A corner pub with relatively modern board fascias: 'TRUMAN FINE ALES ... LONDON BREWERS SINCE 1666', plus eagle illustrations. SP 2014 .

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 408 Hackney Road Durham Arms By A E Sewell for Trumans, 1930s. In tiles on the fascia: 'BURTON BREWED BITTER ... TRUMAN HANBURY BUXTON & Co Ltd ... LONDON STOUT'. Above the second floor windows are two panels with 'TRUMAN'S' flanked by eagles. DK 2003; KE 2003; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 2

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Bethnal Green, 423 Bethnal Green Road Bohola House (renamed) This pub has a stone plaque at first floor level with a winged tankard over the date 1767 - an old Charrington's logo, and this looks to be quite an old example. SRH 2006; WRB 2006; SP photo 2014 Picture

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 460 Bethnal Green Road Shakespeare Green lettering on cream tiles at roof level - 'THE SHAKESPEARE ... TRUMAN HANBURY, BUXTON & COY LTD'. The 'STOUT MILD ALE PORTER' frieze above the door and window was covered by a new sign in 2006. Similar to the nearby CROWN (qv). DK 2003; BL 2003; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 2

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Bethnal Green, 473 Bethnal Green Road Ship (former) Closed 2000 and converted to commercial use. The degraded hanging sign survives, above which is a 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' circle around a 'Stag' device. The hanging sign and the WCR roundel were removed in about 2016. TrC 2014; TrC 2017 .
GONE

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 64 Ellsworth Street Duke of York (demolished) This pub was closed in 2006. It had 'WINES ... TRUMANS ALES & STOUT ... SPIRITS' painted out on the ground floor fascia; and a small Truman's lantern. 2008: This former pub is now demolished along with its Truman's signage. SRH photo 2006; SRH 2008 Picture
GONE

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 67 Roman Road Black Horse (former) Closed 1995 and converted to commercial use. Green-tiled frontage and the pub name at high level on the front elevation. On the side wall is a Truman's board sign, now painted over. TrC 2014 .

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 73 Columbia Road Royal Oak A corner pub by A E Sewell for Trumans. Has a prominent tiled panel on the corner splay with raised lettering: '1923 ... TRUMAN HANBURY BUXTON & Co Ltd ... THE ROYAL OAK'. The interior features panelling with lettering in gold advertising Truman's range of beers. A listed building. SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bethnal Green, 80 Columbia Road Birdcage Good green-tiled frontage. Two Truman's lanterns: one over the Columbia Road entrance and one over the Gosset Road/Wellington Row entrance. Two Truman's boards: one at first floor level on the Columbia Road frontage and a heavily degraded one to the Wellington Row frontage. TrC 2014 .

London E 2

City of London Brewery Co Ltd London, EC4 Bethnal Green, Three Colts Lane / Violet Street Duke of Wellington (demolished) On the parapet to the Violet Street frontage: 'CITY OF LONDON BREWERY COMPANYS ENTIRE'. The pub was demolished in 2012. RF 2002 on info Alan Walker; WRB photo 2006; WRB 2012 Picture
GONE

London E 2

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Globe Town, 230 Roman Road Beehive (former) Closed 1997 and converted to residential. A 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' roundel tops a projecting sign frame. TrC 2014 .

London E 2

Ind Coope Ltd - Station Street, Burton-upon-Trent and Star Brewery, Romford Haggerston, 257 Kingsland Road Kings Head This heavily-fortified pub has one surviving brewery window with 'IND COOPE' in gold lettering. SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 2

Mann, Crossman & Paulin - London & Burton-upon-Trent Haggerston, 3 Kingsland Road Spread Eagle In November 2006, a piece of the modern signage was ripped off, leaving a little bit of Mann, Crossman & Paulin signage exposed beneath. This was painted over shortly afterwards. The fascia has since been covered over by a modern board SRH photo 2006 Picture
GONE

London E 2

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Haggerston, 3 Kingsland Road Spread Eagle A 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' roundel with a 'stag' illustration inside tops the bracket to the hanging sign. TrC 2014 .

London E 3

Smith, Garrett & Co Ltd Bow, E3 Bow, 129 Antill Road Duke of York (former) Converted to residential use, but retains Smith & Garrett (Bow) brewery tiling on the exterior. A tiled plaque above the corner door and a fascia on the Selwyn Road frontage. Lettering 'SMITH GARRETT'S PRIZE BEERS'. Similar tiling on the Antill Road frontage has been removed. London Drinker Aug 2002; SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 3

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Bow, 129 Grove Road Palm Tree By Eedle & Meyers for Trumans, 1935. Tiled panel above the corner door: 'TRUMANS'; a large eagle with 'ESTd 1666'; and the pub name. A listed building. SRH 2006; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 3

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Bromley-by-Bow, 1 Gillender Street Queen Victoria Two tiled panels. (1) Bas-relief Toby jug with 'TOBY ALE'. (2) Flying tankard; 1757; 'CHARRINGTON ... THE HOUSE OF TOBY'. CP 2003; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 3

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Bromley-by-Bow, 50 St Leonards Street Imperial Crown (former) Converted to flats in 2004. Large rectangular tiled plaque - green writing on cream - 'TAYLOR WALKER & CO'S PRIZE ALES AND STOUT'. Full length tiled panel on front wall - 'TAYLOR WALKER & Co's PRIZE ALES and STOUT' in black lettering on ivory ground. GB reports 2004 that the developer has agreed to retain the tiled advertising panel. NB reports 2006 that only the side plaque is visible. RF 2003; CP 2003; GB 2004; NB 2006; SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 3

London & Burton Brewery Co Ltd Stepney, E14 Mile End, 2 Grove Road Prince of Wales (former) Converted to a burger restaurant. There is the old iron arm of a pub sign with 'LBB' worked into the ironwork. SRH 2006; WRB photo 2006; CP 2009 Picture

London E 3

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Mile End, 30 Grove Road Railway Tavern (former) Three tiled 'House of Toby' plaques - all the same design. 'CHARRINGTONS ... 1757'; a 'Toby' image with 'TOBY ALE'; 'THE HOUSE OF TOBY'. This pub closed in 2000 and is in residential use. DK 2003; CP 2003; SRH 2006; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 3

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Mile End, 43 Morgan Street Morgan Arms At first floor level on the west (rear) wall, a small 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' roundel with a 'stag' illustration in the centre. TrC 2016 .

London E 3

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Mile End, 588 Mile End Road A Matter of Time This pub has had many names, possibly originally CORNUCOPIA. The fascia had Taylor Walker signage with the cannon logo, possibly dating from the 1970s, which was revealed during March 2007 renovations. The signage was unfortunately then removed and destroyed. SRH photo 2007 Picture
GONE

London E 5

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Clapton, 1 Mandeville Street Glyn Arms A large tiled sign on the side wall - dark brown letters on beige - with 'TAYLOR WALKER & Co ... PRIZE BEERS'. SRH photo 2008; TrC 2015 Picture

London E 5

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Clapton, 135 Lower Clapton Road Windsor Castle Above the hanging sign, an empty 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' circle with no 'Stag' device inside. TrC 2014 .

London E 5

Courage Ltd - London, Bristol, etc Clapton, 42 Lower Clapton Road Lord Cecil (former) Closed as a pub in about 2006. Recently uncovered due to restoration of the Median Road facade at ground floor level, a tiled panel: 'COURAGE'S ALES & STOUT ... LUNCHEONS ... THE LORD CECIL'. TrC 2017 .

London E 5

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Clapton, 57 Elderfield Road Elderfield (formerly Priory Tavern) The pub has a large plaque on the side wall at first floor level, including the 'TOBY' image, and 'CHARRINGTON ... ESTABLISHED 1757'. SRH photo 2008 Picture

London E 5

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Clapton, 78 Clarence Road Duke of Clarence (former) Converted to flats. A roundel with a Truman eagle survives on the fascia. KR photo 2006 Picture

London E 5

Mann, Crossman & Paulin - London & Burton-upon-Trent Clapton, 84 Upper Clapton Road Crooked Billet This pub was rebuilt in the 1950s and has two surviving Mann’s windows from that era, featuring the brewery's 'George and Dragon' trade mark and 'DECUS ET TUTANEM'. SRH photo 2010 Picture

London E 5

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Clapton, 92 Rendlesham Road London Tavern A good set of surviving Charrington’s leaded windows with red painted lettering in the central panels: 'CHARRINGTON'S'; 'TOBY ALE'; 'TOBY STOUT'. SRH photo 2010 Picture

London E 7

London & Burton Brewery Co Ltd Stepney, E14 Forest Gate, 392 Romford Road Wagon & Horses (former) This pub currently operates as a night club, but has signage above the ground floor windows: 'London & Burton Brewery Sparkling Ales' - unfortunately this is currently covered by modern signage for "Temptations Night Club" and out of view (at least, it's hoped it's still there underneath). SRH 2006 .

London E 8

Courage Ltd - London, Bristol, etc Dalston, 142 Sandringham Road Lord Stanley (former) Closed in about 2002 and converted to commercial use. A Courage 'golden cockerel' sits in a glass panel above the corner doorway. TrC 2014 .

London E 8

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Dalston, 37 Kingsland High Street Kingsland (formerly Bull Inn) A black Taylor Walker 'cannon' device tops an empty sign frame. On the south corner at high level there is also a large 'SKOL' letter sign. TrC 2014; Google 2014 .

London E 8

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Dalston, 71 Shacklewell Lane Shacklewell Arms (formerly Green Man) A Watney Combe Reid lantern to the fascia, with lettering 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' above and the 'stag' motif below. TrC 2014 .

London E 8

Whitbread & Co Ltd London, EC1 Hackney, 13-15 Mare Street Rose & Crown This former Whitbread pub closed in 1995. Renovations to the exterior of the building in 2009 revealed a narrow glazed ground floor fascia, with lettering - cream on brown: ' WHITBREAD'S ... ALES & STOUT'. SRH photo 2009 Picture

London E 8

Holt & Co East Ham, E7 Hackney, 137 Mare Street London Fields - formerly Warburton Arms 'J & WS Holt's Entire' sign high on wall. 2006: sign not visible. DK 2003; WRB 2006 .
GONE

London E 8

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Hackney, 165 Mare Street Dolphin Attractive window with Truman's eagle trademark painted on the glass inside a circular wooden frame. Also an iron projecting sign bracket topped with 'TRUMANS'. DK 2003; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 8

Courage & Co Ltd Southwark, SE1 Hackney, 2 Sylvester Path Old Ship Two identical tiled panels in the walls of the Mare Street entrance. Lettering: 'SPECIALITY ... OUR SNACK BAR ... COURAGE'S ALES & STOUT ... LUNCHEONS ... WINES & SPIRITS'. DK 2003; SRH photo 2008; JSe 2014 Picture

London E 8

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Hackney, 315 Mare Street Cock Tavern A corner pub by A E Sewell for Trumans, 1930. Two tiled panels on the splayed corner. Top: a roundel with a Truman's eagle, painted gold, and 'TRUMANS'. Below: a large panel with: 'THE COCK TAVERN ... TRUMAN'S LONDON STOUT & BURTON BREWED BITTERS'. Also, two Truman's lanterns alongside the corner door. WRB 2006; KR photo 2006; JSe 2014 Picture

London E 8

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Hackney, 600 Kingsland Road Crown & Castle (former) Converted to a restaurant. It retains a projecting 'Watney Combe Reid' roundel. SP 2013 .

London E 8

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Hackney, 76 Broadway Market Cat & Mutton Red lettering on window - 'CHARRINGTON'S ALES & STOUT' and 'TOBY ALE'. Also 'TOBY ALE' in similar style on a door. Fascia - bold gold lettering on green - 'CHARRINGTON'. Wine & Brandy Merchant' in relief at floor level. Still has 1980s Charrington signage (Feb 2003). DK 2003; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E 8

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Kingsland, 447 Kingsland Road Prince of Wales (former) Closed early 2000s and converted to residential. At high level on the north-facing wall is a large board sign with 'THE PRINCE OF WALES' flanked each side by Truman's 'eagle' motifs. TrC 2014 .

London E 8

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Shacklewell, 240 Amhurst Road Amhurst Arms (renamed Hand of Glory) A Watney Combe Reid lantern to the fascia, with lettering 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' above and the 'stag' motif below. TrC 2015 .

London E 9

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Homerton, 101-103 Wick Road Eagle Above the hanging sign, a roundel with 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' and 'stag' motif in the centre. TrC 2014 .

London E 9

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Homerton, 220 Victoria Park Road Bedford (former) Closed in about 1999 and converted to residential use. A hanging sign survives on the Wetherell Road frontage with fading 'CHARRINGTON' lettering. TrC 2014 .

London E 9

Whitbread & Co Ltd London, EC1 Homerton, 235 Well Street Gun On restoration, old fascia lettering has been revealed: 'WHITBREAD'S ALES & STOUT ... WHITBREAD'S ... ALES & STOUT ON DRAUGHT & IN BOTTLE'. TrC photo 2014 Picture

London E 9

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Homerton, 331 Wick Road White Lion (former) now Genevas By A E Sewell for Trumans, 1930s. Two examples on the cornice: roundels with a gilded eagle on green background; beneath which is 'ESTd. 1666'. Also a car park 'patrons only' sign with 'TRUMAN LIMITED'. GB 2004; WRB photo 2006; KR 2006 Picture

London E 9

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Homerton, 69 Cadogan Terrace Morpeth Castle (former) By A E Sewell for Trumans, 1926. This pub closed in 1991 and was converted to residential use. It retains a Truman's eagle roundel at first floor level. SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E 9

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Homerton, 97 Wick Road Prince Edward A board sign within a window space at first floor level on the Barnabas Road frontage: the brewery's 'eagle' trade mark, and 'TRUMAN ... BEERS AND ALES ... LONDON BREWERS SINCE 1666 ... TRUMAN HANBURY BUXTON'. TrC 2014; Google 2014 .

London E10

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Leyton, 308 High Road Huxley Stores (former) The building was a beer retailer called 'Huxley Stores', originally tied to Smith Garrett's Bow Brewery, and is now in restaurant use. The ground floor fascia has 'PRIZE ALES ... TAYLOR WALKER & Co Ltd ... AND STOUT' on two sides in dark green lettering on pale green tiles. These are painted over (although beginning to show through) and in places covered by modern board signage. SRH 2007 .

London E10

Cannon Brewery Co Ltd London, EC1 Leyton, 575 Lea Bridge Road Bakers Arms (former) Painted board signs at roof level: 'CANNON BREWERY - ALES - PORTER'. On the other elevation: 'ALES - STOUT - ALES'. Some doubts about continuity and authenticity. SRH comments: "The Cannon Brewery boards here were replicas, based I think upon an old photograph of the pub (at the very most they were a modern re-painting). They appeared in the mid-1990s and were removed when the pub was renovated in 2005." The pub has since been converted to a betting office. SP 2004; SRH 2006 .
GONE

London E10

Ind Coope Ltd - Station Street, Burton-upon-Trent and Star Brewery, Romford Leyton, 816 High Road King William IV (William IV) By Shoebridge & Rising for Cannon Brewery, 1897. Outside, a hanging sign topped by an Ind Coope 'hand' and '1856'. Inside, the bar-back in the rear room incorporates mirrors with 'WILLIAM IV - IND COOPE' in gold lettering (ca.1970s). SP 2004; SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E11

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Leytonstone, 45 Langthorne Road Birkbeck Fine fascia with 'FINE ALES ... CHARRINGTON ... AND STOUT'. The Charrington name is obscured by a modern board sign in 2006. WRB photo 2006 Picture
GONE

London E13

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Plaistow, 299 Barking Road Red House (formerly the Northumberland Arms) Large pub by A E Sewell for Trumans, 1930s. There are two surviving Truman's Eagle roundels, plus the remains of 'TRUMAN'S' lettering removed from above each. Also two leaded windows with 'TRUMANS BEERS' in gold in a central panel. SRH photo 2007 Picture

London E13

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Plaistow, 48 Plashet Road Upton Manor (demolished) Attractive green-tiled façade. Tiled 'CHARRINGTON FINE ALES & STOUT' sign in lobby and large tiled 'THE HOUSE OF TOBY' plaque on outside wall. WRB reports in 2006 that the pub has been demolished and replaced by a block of flats. DK 2003; WRB 2006 .
GONE

London E13

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Plaistow, 484 Barking Road Abbey Arms Imposing Victorian corner pub. The cornices have old lettering: (1) New Barn Street elevation - 'TAYLOR WALKER & Co'; (2) Corner - 1882; (3) Barking Road elevation - 'TAYLOR ... (a swag) ... WALKER & Co'. Both hanging signs have cannons in the brackets. GB 2002; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E14

Whitbread - the national brewery conglemerate Bromley, 26 Aberfeldy Street Aberfeldy (demolished) Two oval plaques 'WHITBREAD & COMPANY - 1742': one above the pole sign; the second on the south wall of the west wing. By August 2014, the site was fenced off and sold for development. Reported demolished in 2015. TrC 2014; TrC 2016 .
GONE

London E14

Courage Ltd - London, Bristol, etc Isle of Dogs, 26 Ferry Street Ferry House On the front elevation, a projecting square sign with gold Courage 'cockerel' on red background. TrC 2014 .

London E14

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Isle of Dogs, 262 Manchester Road Cubitt Arms (former) This pub had a notable interwar interior by Trumans, including wood panelling up to the picture rail on the left, and a wooden central bar gantry, both with names of former Truman beers along the top (cf. the Golden Heart, E1 and Hope & Anchor, W6). Converted to flats in 2012. PCo 2005; SP 2012 .
GONE

London E14

Courage Ltd - London, Bristol, etc Isle of Dogs, 41 Westferry Road Anchor & Hope (former) Closed c. 2005-2007. Future uncertain. Two projecting square signs with gold Courage 'cockerel' on red background; one below the Westferry Road fascia (damaged) and one to the Manilla Street corner at first floor level. Fascia reads 'COURAGE FINE ALES...THE ANCHOR & HOPE...ESTABLISHED 1787'. TrC 2014 .

London E14

Mann, Crossman & Paulin - London & Burton-upon-Trent Isle of Dogs, 74 Manilla Street North Pole A good surviving window with a green panel: 'MANN, CROSSMAN & PAULIN LTD', above which is the brewery's 'George and Dragon' logo in red. Closed in 2014. SRH photo 2007; TrC 2014 Picture

London E14

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Limehouse, 556 Commercial Road White Swan At first floor level facing Butcher Row, a wall-mounted 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' roundel with central 'stag' device. Also two scroll devices on the fascia with '1898 ... WATNEY COMBE REID' - either side of the pub's name. TrC 2014; TrC 2017 .

London E14

Ind Coope Ltd - Station Street, Burton-upon-Trent and Star Brewery, Romford Limehouse, 667 Commercial Road Crown On the hanging sign, a 'Hand in Tun' image, in corporate Allied style. SP 2013 .

London E14

Courage Ltd - London, Bristol, etc Limehouse, 805 Commercial Road Star of the East Severely degraded lettering to the east side of the hanging sign: 'THE STAR OF THE EAST ... COURAGE'. TrC 2017 .

London E14

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Millwall, 114 Glengall Grove George A 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' roundel tops the first floor sign; 'stag' motif faded. Four '1898 - WATNEY COMBE REID' scroll devices around the fascia. A 'WATNEYS' lantern to the first floor corner splay. TrC 2015 .

London E14

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Poplar, 150 East India Dock Road Manor Arms On the splay above the corner door, a large painted board sign with a ribbon motif 'WATNEY COMBE REID - 1898' around a 'stag' illustration. TrC 2014 .

London E14

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Poplar, 17 Barnes Street Old Ship Above the former hanging sign is a modern roundel 'WATNEY COMBE REID ... 1898' around a stag illustration. Also two small round wall plaques of similar style. SP 2012 .

London E14

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Poplar, 2 Bazeley Street Greenwich Pensioner Tiled fascia, dark lettering on cream: 'PRIZE ALES ... TAYLOR WALKER & CO'S ... NOTED STOUT'. DK 2003; WRB photo 2006 Picture

London E14

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Poplar, 210 Poplar High Street Resolute (demolished) Has an old rather faded board sign with an illustration of the 'Resolute' and 'TAYLOR WALKER'. There are also more modern Taylor Walker signs. TrC reports in 2014 that the pub has been demolished. WRB photo 2006; TrC 2014 Picture
GONE

London E14

Mann, Crossman & Paulin - London & Burton-upon-Trent Poplar, 212 Hind Grove Chimes (former) This pub was built by Manns in 1951. It had three faded (one very faded) Mann's windows incorporating the brewery logo in red with gold lettering beneath: 'DRAUGHT & BOTTLED BEERS' and 'WINES & SPIRITS'. Google in 2015 indicates that premises are now in retail use and that the windows have been replaced. SRH photo 2006; TrC 2015 Picture
GONE

London E14

Mann, Crossman & Paulin - London & Burton-upon-Trent Poplar, 269 East India Dock Road Sir John Franklin (demolished) Built by Watney-Mann in 1963, it had a rare 'MANNS' letter sign which was probably original. This pub had been boarded up for several years in 2006, and was demolished by 2012. WRB photo 2006; TrC 2017 Picture
GONE

London E14

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Poplar, 55 Chrisp Street Callaghanns (formerly Festive Britain) A 'WATNEY COMBE REID' - 1898' roundel with 'stag' device on a bracket on the Chrisp Street elevation. TrC 2014 .

London E14

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Poplar, 71 Grundy Street Festival Inn This pub was built for Truman's Brewery as part of the 'live' architecture section of the Festival of Britain in 1951. Retains a Trumans painted board sign, a late example of a roundel with the Eagle trademark in relief, and an elegant projecting sign with 'THE FESTIVAL INN ... TRUMAN ALES'. SRH photo 2006; KR 2007 Picture

London E14

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Poplar, 98 Salmon Lane Freemasons Arms (demolished) Ceramic fascia with raised lettering: 'PRIZE ALES ... TAYLOR WALKER & COS ... STOUT ... BARLEY MOW ... BOTTLED ALES'. NB reports in 2006 that the pub has been demolished. GB 2002; NB 2006 .
GONE

London E15

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Leyton, 124 High Road Leyton Food An off licence and grocer's shop with a projecting Watney sign (possibly 1960s), now rather rare, with lettering 'WATNEYS BEERS'. SRH photo 2008 Picture

London E15

Charles Hammerton & Co Ltd (later Stockwell Brewery Co Ltd) Stockwell, SW9 Stratford, 128 Downsell Road Dewine Cellar (off-licence) This off-licence had plain glass windows at the front with 'HAMMERTON' and 'OATMEAL STOUT' etched in un-fancy lettering. Possibly a former beer house. SRH reports that the off-licence is converted to residential use. Amongst the first things destroyed and in the skip were the ceramic tiles on the ground floor frontage, and the Hammerton’s glass in the windows. SRH 2007; SRH 2010 .
GONE

London E15

Smith, Garrett & Co Ltd Bow, E3 Stratford, 25 West Ham Lane Princess of Wales A modern fascia was removed in 2010 to reveal tiled lettering - cream on green: 'SMITH GARRETT'S PRIZE BEERS'. The tiling was quickly covered over again during a refurbishment. CMu photo 2010 Picture
OBSCURED

London E16

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Canning Town, 162 Bidder Street Dartmouth Arms A tiled Charrington panel with the Flying Tankard logo including '1757 ... CHARRINGTON', a 'Toby' in relief with 'TOBY ALE', and lettering 'THE HOUSE OF TOBY'. SRH photo 2007 Picture

London E16

Courage & Co Ltd Southwark, SE1 Canning Town, 20 Star Lane Anchor This former pub closed in 2001 and now appears to be empty. It was rebuilt in 1904 the cut-brick decoration on the frontage probably dates from then. The 'C Co' monogram in the panel probably refers to Courage - but confirmation required. There is also a Courage golden cockerel. SRH photo 2008 Picture

London E16

Courage & Co Ltd Southwark, SE1 Canning Town, 67 Barking Road Royal Oak This pub closed in the late-1990s, lay derelict for a long-time and was later restored. The fascia had two Courage signs in gold and applied lettering. A huge COURAGE sign in raised red letters on the upper floors has now gone. By 2008, this former pub was in use as an estate agent, and crude modern boards have covered the Courage signage. SRH photo 2006; SRH 2008 Picture
GONE

London E16

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent North Woolwich, 83 Woodman Street Royal Oak Only the ground floor of this corner pub survived the second World War. The exterior has fine dark green tiling, and an excellent large tiled panel incorporating an early pattern of the Truman eagle and lettering 'TRUMAN'S BEERS ... EAGLE BRAND'. A panel above the corner entrance is truncated and just has 'BEERS'. KR 2006; SRH photo 2007 Picture

London E16

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Victoria Dock, Bell Lane (off Dock Road) Ram Tavern (former) By A E Sewell for Trumans, 1930s. Converted to a nightclub. On the corner splay is a clock (hands missing) with the numbers represented by letters: 'TRUMANSSREEB' (clockwise from 9 o'clock). KR photo 2006-2008 Picture

London E16

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Victoria Dock, Tidal Basin Road Tidal Basin Tavern By A E Sewell, 1930s; this pub was featured in the film "The Leather Boys". On both the north and south end gables, it had a large tiled panel featuring the Truman eagle in a roundel above the pub name. Demolished for redevelopment by 2014. KR photo 2006; TrC 2014 Picture
GONE

London E17

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Walthamstow, 106 Edward Road Former off-licence (Courtney Stores) This former corner off-licence is now a private residence, but retains its very attractive dark green faience frontage. Each side of the corner door is tiled lettering in cream: 'TRUMAN'S NOTED ALES & STOUT ON DRAUGHT' and 'TRUMANS EAGLE BRAND BOTTLED BEERS'. The curved tiled fascia runs around both elevations with dark green lettering on cream: 'DOUBLE STOUT ... TRUMAN HANBURY BUXTON & Coy ltd ... ALES & PORTER'. SRH photo 2007; KR photo 2007; TrC 2015 Picture

London E17

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Walthamstow, 131 Markhouse Road Common Gate (former) A beautiful large tiled panel (approx 5 ft square) - gold lettering on brown glazed tiles - with: 'CHARRINGTON'S CELEBRATED BITTER, BURTON, MILD ALES, PORTER, & IMPERIAL STOUT'. The pub dates from 1888, and the sign is probably original. The pub has now been converted to a hotel. DK 2003; JJ 2003; SRH photo 2006 Picture

London E17

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Walthamstow, 15 Grosvenor Rise East Castle Windows with red lettering 'Charrington' within oval toby jug trademark (red and black). WRB reports in 2006 that the Charrington windows have been removed. WRB 2003; WRB 2006 .
GONE

London E17

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Walthamstow, 757 Lea Bridge Road Waltham Oak (formerly Chestnut Tree) 'Taylor Walker's Ales & Stout' tiled signs. Front wall signs now painted over but still visible. Side wall sign still unspoilt. WRB reports in 2006 that the front signs are covered over, and there is no sign on the side. DK 2003; WRB 2006 .
GONE

London E18

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Woodford, Woodford New Road Napier Arms In the ironwork above the pole sign, an oval panel with 'Toby' - possibly emamel - and 'CHARRINGTON' underneath. In 2011, all Charrington signs were removed when the pub was refurbished. WRB photo 2007; WRB 2011 Picture
GONE

Return to the Defunct Index Page