Brewery History Society

The Brewery History Society: Defunct Brewery Liveries



London East (EC postal districts)
Defunct Brewery Livery

13 November 2018

Return to the Defunct Index Page

County Brewery Location Premises Description Contributors Photo?
Gone?

London EC1

Whitbread & Co Ltd London, EC1 Barbican, 52 Chiswell Street Whitbread Brewery (former) The former brewery has been converted to other uses. Several items identifying Whitbread's former ownership survive, including a clock and several plaques. SP photo 2011 Picture

London EC1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Clerkenwell, 106 Farringdon Road Clerkenwell Tavern - later Penny Black (former) This pub closed in 2000 and by 2004 had been converted to restaurant use. It retains one etched window with 'WATNEYS' in gold lettering. TrC reports that renovation of the premises has resulted in removal of the Watney livery. SRH photo 2006; TrC 2015 Picture
GONE

London EC1

Cannon Brewery Co Ltd London, EC1 Clerkenwell, 160 St John Street Cannon Brewery (former brewery) The brewery closed in 1955 and the buildings were converted to office use. On the parapet to the street elevation, raised stone lettering: 'CANNON BREWERY'. BHS photo; SP photo 2011; TrC 2015 Picture

London EC1

Courage & Co Ltd Southwark, SE1 Clerkenwell, 23 Exmouth Market Exmouth Arms Built by Courage and dated 1915. On the corner splay above the entrance, a large tiled panel - gold letters on green: 'COURAGES FINE ALES & STOUT'. 'COURAGES' is a long diagonal with the rest horizontal. Also a relatively old Courage lantern. Between 2010 and 2012, the modern fascia boarding and exterior panelling was removed to reveal a magnificent green-tiled frontage, including gold fascia lettering: 'WINES ... SALOON BAR ... COURAGES FINE ALES & STOUT ... No 23 ... FINE ALES & STOUT'. With this refurbishment, the Courage lantern was removed. MAP 2003; WRB photo 2006; JSe photo 2010; SP photo 2018 Picture

London EC1

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Clerkenwell, 240 St John Street George & Dragon (renamed Peasant) Interior. The canopy to the bar-back features cut-out lettering: 'GEORGE & DRAGON ... TRUMANS ... BEN TRUMAN ... TRUMANS ... TRUBROWN'. SP photo 2017 Picture

London EC1

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Clerkenwell, 26-28 Ray Street Coach & Horses (renamed Coach) A Taylor Walker 'cannon' motif mounted above the hanging sign on the Ray Street frontage. Nicely restored as part of the pub reopening. TrC 2014; SP photo 2018 Picture

London EC1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Clerkenwell, 292-294 St John Street New Red Lion (renamed Blacksmith & Toffeemaker) An old pub which was rebuilt as the NEW RED LION by Watneys in 1924. Above the hanging sign facing St John Street are the remains of a Watney Combe Reid roundel; the lettering and centre 'stag' device have been removed. Inside, to the bar-back's parapet, two signs with cut-out lettering backlit in red: 'WELCOME TO THIS WATNEY HOUSE'. TrC 2014; TrC 2016; SP photo 2017 Picture

London EC1

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Clerkenwell, 34 Sekforde Street Sekforde Arms Originally a Charrington house, this was a Young's tied house for several years. The ground floor exterior was faced with cream tiles. In about 2012, a plaque of beige tiles to the left of the Sekforde Street elevation was exposed, featuring the 'flying tankard', a raised 'Toby', and 'THE HOUSE OF TOBY'. Following the sale by Youngs, the exterior was refurbished in 2017-2018, with timber panelling applied; it isn't known whether the Charrington panel survives beneath. TrC 2015 and 2018; Google 2012 and photo 2015; SP photo 2018 Picture

London EC1

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Clerkenwell, 46 Percival Street Shakespeares Head (closed) This 1930s pub had two quite large panels at first floor level, featuring the 'Toby' image in relief. Unfortunately these had been painted over in white. Closed in about 2008 and demolished in about 2012; the site is now occupied by a branch of Ladbrokes topped with flats. SRH 2006; WRB photo 2007; TrC 2014 Picture
GONE

London EC1

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Clerkenwell, 57 St John Street White Bear To both sides of the hanging sign, fading lettering: 'CHARRINGTONS'. TrC 2016 .

London EC1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Clerkenwell, 69 Rosebery Avenue Wilmington Arms Two stone panels on the parapet feature animals: these appear to be a Stag (Watney) and a Griffin (Reid). WRB photo 2009 Picture

London EC1

Mann, Crossman & Paulin - London & Burton-upon-Trent Clerkenwell, 7 Clerkenwell Close Three Kings This pub has two good surviving Mann Crossman Paulin windows. One has the brewery logo in red: 'DECUS ET TUTAMEN'. The other has the brewery logo, beneath which is a rectangular panel in green with gold lettering: 'MANN CROSSMAN & PAULIN LTD'; each side of this are similar green panels with 'WINES ... SPIRITS'. There is also a roundel above the hanging sign bracket with a stag in the centre and 'WATNEY COMBE REID ... 1898'. SRH photo 2006; TrC 2016; SP photo 2018 Picture

London EC1

Bass & Co Ltd - Burton-upon-Trent, Tadcaster, etc Farringdon, 105 Charterhouse Street Smithfield Tavern (formerly Red Cow) In a panel above the hanging sign is 'CHARRINGTON' lettering; and above this, a small oval with 'Bass' in script and a red triangle. TrC 2014 .

London EC1

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Farringdon, 34-35 Cowcross Street Castle On the left pilaster and painted over black, a small Charrington's roundel with a 'Toby' relief and 'CHARRINGTON - ESTABLISHED 1757'. TrC 2016 .

London EC1

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Farringdon, 6 Carthusian Street Sutton Arms Internal. In the bar, the bar-back has 'CHARRINGTON'S' across the timber top-piece. The Charrington's name is flanked by a 'TOFF' and 'TOBY JUG' motif. Unfortunately, the Charrington's bar-back was removed in 2016 when the new owners, Youngs, refurbished the premises. SP 2004; TrC 2016; TrC 2017 .
GONE

London EC1

Courage & Barclay Ltd Southwark, SE1 Finsbury, 1 Arlington Way Shakespeares Head The windows have Courage cockerels, plus gold lettering 'COURAGE & BARCLAY', most of which has apparently 'fallen off'. Courage & Barclay Ltd only existed from 1955 to 1960, and this would agree with the apparent age of this pub. WRB photo 2007 Picture

London EC1

Whitbread & Co Ltd London, EC1 Finsbury, 21 Dingley Place Princess Alice (former) Long closed as a pub. During building works in December 2013, a fascia with raised lettering was revealed: 'WHITBREAD'S ALES & STOUT...WINE & SPIRIT MERCHANT & BLENDER'. 2013 pics with the Whitbread fascia are viewable on Pubs Galore: http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubpictures/71724/. Later images on Google show the building surrounded by scaffolding. TrC 2013 .

London EC1

Whitbread - the national brewery conglemerate Finsbury, 37 Central Street White Lion (former) Facing Bastwick Street, mounted above the hanging sign: 'WHITBREAD PLC ... 1742' in an oval around the brewery's 'deer' trademark, surrounded by hop leaf and barley decoration. Closed by 2015, and the Whitbread signage was removed as part of the conversion works. TrC 2014; TrC 2016 .
GONE

London EC1

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Hatton Garden, 3 Hatton Wall Hat & Tun To the left, inside the recessed entrance, a large polychromatic glass panel with the Charrington's 'toff' motif and 'WINES & SPIRITS'. TrC 2016; SP photo 2017 Picture

London EC1

Charrington & Co Burton-upon-Trent Hatton Garden, 82 Leather Lane Clock House (renamed Craft) Internal. This former Charrington pub has a large fixed mirror in the bar: 'CHARRINGTON'S CELEBRATED BURTON ALES' which may be original to the pub. TrC 2016; JSe photo 2017 Picture

London EC1

Reid's Brewery Co Ltd Clerkenwell, EC1 Hatton Garden, Hatton Garden Reid's Brewery (former) Several of the former brewery buildings survive. On a high gable facing Hatton Garden, a recessed Reid's 'Griffin' painted silver within a black cast iron grille surrounded by '1881'. TrC 2017; BHS photo Picture

London EC1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Old Street, 220 City Road Royal Star Two 'Stag' lanterns. With refurbishment of the pub in about 2011, these lanterns were removed. WRB photo 2006; TrC 2014 Picture
GONE

London EC1

Watney Combe Reid & Co Ltd - Stag Brewery, Pimlico; and Mortlake Brewery Old Street, 235 Old Street Nelsons Retreat (renamed) Next to the front door, a small roundel with a stag in the centre and 'WATNEY COMBE REID ... 1898'. The pub was painted red all over and renamed 'Craft Beer Co' in 2017. The WCR roundel has been removed. SP photo 2014; TrC 2014; SP 2017 Picture
GONE

London EC1

Taylor Walker & Co Ltd Limehouse, E14 Old Street, 73 City Road Angel There is a fine old decorative etched window with the brewery's trade mark, a cannon, illustrated. Also at least four etched windows with 'Taylor Walker' in gold lettering, two with a 'cannon'. Finally, a modern board sign on the corner with the pub name and 'TAYLOR WALKER'. TrC reports that renovation of the pub in 2015 has resulted in removal of the Taylor Walker livery. SRH photo 2006; WRB photo 2006; JSe photo 2009; TrC 2015 Picture
GONE

London EC1

Whitbread & Co Ltd London, EC1 Old Street, Baldwin Street Old Fountain One of the front doors features the Whitbread tankard in the glass; together with a letter 'W' and the brewery's 'deer' trademark. SP 2009; SRH 2009; JSe photo 2009 Picture

London EC1

Whitbread & Co Ltd London, EC1 Old Street, Garrett Street Whitbread Brewery Stables (former) Whitbread's multi-storey stabling. There is a large stone plaque on the Garrett Street side with incised lettering: 'WHITBREAD & Co Ltd ... STABLING ... ERECTED 1897'. It has a rear yard entrance from Nags Head Court, to the immediate south. CBr photo 2011 Picture

London EC2

Courage Ltd - London, Bristol, etc Moorgate, 52 Wilson Street Flying Horse Above the corner door, a hanging illuminated sign - a gold Courage cockerel on red background. This sign was removed in about 2014. WRB 2003; TrC 2014 .
GONE

London EC2

Truman Hanbury Buxton & Co Ltd - London & Burton-upon-Trent Shoreditch, 38 Great Eastern Street Old Blue Last A painted but fading stone sign on the gable wall of the next-door building is obscured by a hoarding and is barely visible: 'The Old Blue Last. The First House Where Porter Was Sold. Truman Hanbury, Buxton & Co. Entire'. On the curved corner parapet is a stone panel with incut lettering: 'OLD BLUE LAST ... AD 1700 ... REBUILT 1876 ... TRUMAN HANBURY BUXTON & cos ENTIRE'. This sign was deteriorating in 2006 but was beautifully restored by 2014. There is also a window with 'TRUMAN'S LONDON' in gold lettering. Also relatively modern Truman painted board signs. Inside is a large Truman's bar back mirror with gilt lettering reading 'TRUMAN, HANBURY, BUXTON & CO'S LTD PALE & BURTON ALES & IMPERIAL STOUT'. DK 2003; WRB photo 2006; SP photo 2014 and 2018; TrC 2016 Picture

London EC2

Whitbread & Co Ltd London, EC1 Shoreditch, 78 Paul Street Princess of Shoreditch (formerly Princess Royal) To a window above an internal entrance vestibule, in gold applied lettering: 'WHITBREAD'. TrC 2016; SP photo 2018 Picture

London EC2

Meux's Brewery Co Ltd - Horseshoe Breweries: London WC1 and SW8 Shoreditch, 93 Leonard Street Griffin A fine tiled frontage in shades of brown and maroon. Several framed tiled panels with lettering in dark brown: (1) 'MEUX'S FAMOUS STOUT AND PERFECT PALE ALES IN BOTTLE AND ON DRAUGHT' (2) 'MEUX'S PERFECT ALES' (3) 'MEUX'S FAMOUS STOUT' (two examples). Also two etched windows with a horse shoe surrounding - 'MEUX'S'. MDa points out that the pub also has signs for Young's, Charrington, Whitbread and Ind Coope (Allied Breweries)! WRB photo 2006; MDa photo 2008 Picture

London EC3

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Aldgate, 36 Jewry Street Three Tuns This pub has two exterior 'Toby' plaques - these are just about six inches square. Correspondent RHu feels that these may be pre-Charrington Hoare plaques; however, the pub is dated 1939, so the plaques were certainly installed by Charringtons. SRH 2006; RHu 2013; TrC 2014; SP photo 2018 Picture

London EC3

Charrington & Co Ltd Mile End, E1 Tower Hill, 48-50 Crutched Friars Cheshire Cheese Underneath a railway bridge. Modern gold letters above the central window array: 'CHARRINGTON'. The Charrington lettering had been removed by 2018. TrC photo 2014; SP photo 2018 Picture
GONE

London EC4

Worthington & Co Ltd Burton-upon-Trent Blackfriars, 174 Queen Victoria Street Black Friar Four art nouveau plaques - four different variations - all advertising Worthington Burton Ales - on draught, in bottle etc. A CAMRA National Inventory pub. SP photo 2005 Picture

London EC4

Courage Ltd - London, Bristol, etc Blackfriars, 7 St Andrews Hill Cockpit (formerly Three Castles) A small square 'COURAGE' lantern with a 'cockerel' in colour on one face on the St Andrews Hill fascia; above the fascia is a square projecting sign with a gold 'cockerel' on red background. Painted name 'COURAGE' above the entrance. Interior: there are several references to cockerels, including a large cockerel model (possibly from an external sign), and cockerel paintings (it was reputedly a cock-fighting pub). On the canopy over the bar counter is: 'Courage' twice in 'Olde Englishe' lettering. TrC 2014; SP photo 2018 Picture

London EC4

Courage & Co Ltd Southwark, SE1 Cannon Street, 29 Bush Lane Bell At first floor level, a gold Courage cockerel above the hanging sign; and a separate red projecting sign with a gold Courage cockerel. The external Courage signs were removed by 2017. Inside, the bar-back canopy has 'THE BELL ... COURAGE' cut-out lettering, illuminated from behind. WRB 2006; BI photo 2008; Google 2016-2017; SP photo 2018 Picture

London EC4

Courage Ltd - London, Bristol, etc City, 22 Fleet Street Olde Cock Tavern In front of the first floor oriel window is a large gold Courage cockerel mounted on a projecting bracket. TrC 2014 .

London EC4

Wm Younger & Co Ltd Edinburgh City, 42 Ludgate Hill Olde London The front leaded window included lettering: 'Wm YOUNGER ... Estd 1749'. Each side is 'LUNCHEONS ... SCOTCH ALES'. In 2014, the Younger's lettering was removed and replaced with plain glass, albeit retaining the leaded windows. WRB: "What fools." WRB photo 2006; SP photo 2010; WRB 2014; SP photo 2015 Picture
GONE

London EC4

S G Mooney & Son Dublin City, 66 Fleet Street Tipperary Reputedly (information from a plaque attached to the pub), this pub was built as the 'Bulls Head' in 1605 and was taken over by Dublin brewer S G Mooney & Son in about 1700. At the entrance is a slate floor slab with 'MOONEYS'. TrC photo 2018 Picture

Return to the Defunct Index Page