Brewery History Society

The Brewery History Society: Defunct Brewery Liveries



Isle of Wight
Defunct Brewery Livery

16 April 2015

Return to the Defunct Index Page

County Brewery Location Premises Description Contributors More Info?
Gone?

Isle of Wight

Courage Ltd - London, Bristol, etc Cowes East, Clarence Road East Cowes Conservative Club A plain hanging box sign with the club name and 'COURAGE'. AH photo 2014 Picture

Isle of Wight

W B Mew, Langton & Co Ltd Newport Cowes West, 176 Newport Road Kingston Arms CAMRA Portsmouth magazine 2001 describes the interior. There is a leaded glass window panel above the bar: 'MEW LANGTON'S ALES & STOUT'. There is also a modern Gale's plaque next to the entrance. CAMRA 2001; JSe photo 2002; JSe photo 2009 Picture

Isle of Wight

W B Mew, Langton & Co Ltd Newport Cowes West, 24-26 Terminus Road Wheatsheaf (former) A fading sign on one end wall - black lettering on white background: 'WHEATSHEAF ... MEW'S ALES ... FULLY LICENSED'. Converted to residential use. JSe 2002; SP 2004; SRH photo 2006 Picture

Isle of Wight

Usher's Brewery Ltd Trowbridge Cowes West, 51 Cross Street Painters Arms A wall-mounted oval Usher's plaque next to the corner door. AH 2014; JSe 2014 .

Isle of Wight

Brickwoods Ltd Portsea Cowes West, Arctic Road Former off-licence On the end wall, lettering 'BRICKWOODS ... ALES & STOUT'. Converted to residential. JSe photo 2009 Picture

Isle of Wight

Courage Ltd - London, Bristol, etc Cowes West, Beckford Road Cowes Conservative Club A projecting box sign with the club name plus 'COURAGE' and four cockerel logos. In 2015, the Courage sign was removed. AH photo 2014; JSe 2015 Picture
GONE

Isle of Wight

Brickwoods Ltd Portsea Cowes West, St Marys Road Old Mayflower Inn (former) Tiled frontage with typical Brickwood's mosaic fascia - white lettering on red background: 'BRICKWOODS BRILLIANT ALES & STOUT'. Formerly owned by William Waterman's St Mary's Brewery which was acquired by Brickwoods in 1919. JSe photo 2002 Picture

Isle of Wight

W B Mew, Langton & Co Ltd Newport Freshwater, Princes Road Prince of Wales (former) Has a 'MEWS' board sign applied over the corner entrance (not sure whether original or a replacement). The pub has been converted to a house, but the sign survives. SP 2004; JSe photo 2011 Picture

Isle of Wight

Louisa Lake Ryde Ryde, 44 High Street Eagle Hotel (former - now retail) Lake's Eagle Brewery was located behind the hotel. Mounted on the parapet of the building is a fine carved eagle. The brewery was acquired by Edward Sweetman in 1877 and closed; Sweetman rebuilt the frontage in the 1890s. SP photo 2005 Picture

Isle of Wight

Edward Sweetman Ryde Ryde, 44 High Street Eagle Hotel (former - now retail) At the top of each of the side pilasters, a stone panel with 'ES' in decorative lettering. SP photo 2005 Picture

Isle of Wight

W B Mew, Langton & Co Ltd Newport Ryde, 51 Upton Road Lake Huron A fading sign painted on the north end wall - '(MEW) LANGTONS - BREWERS TO HIS MAJESTY - (part missing) STOUT WINES & SPIRITS'. The left-hand part of the sign is missing due to the insertion of a first-floor window. This sign was painted over an earlier sign - 19c photographs reveal it displayed 'SWEETMAN'S SUPERIOR ALES & STOUT'. JSe 2002; SP photo 2005 Picture

Isle of Wight

Henry Charles & Walter Sweetman Ryde Ryde, 51 Upton Road Lake Huron Very faint: painted sign on the south end wall - 'SWEETMANS' - remainder illegible. Mew Langtons acquired Sweetmans in 1920. JSe photo 2002; SP 2005 Picture

Isle of Wight

Probably George Raggett & Sons Ltd London, SE1 Ryde, 53 Union Street Bar 53: formerly Yelf’s Tap and Cellar At the rear, is a fading painted sign: 'GUINNESS & RAGGETT'S STOUTS'. It is thought that Raggetts became a subsidiary of Barclay Perkins in about 1953 or 1964: they may have been brewers, or commissioned their 'Nourishing Stout' from other brewers. SP photo 2005 Picture

Isle of Wight

Burt & Co Ventnor Ventnor, Esplanade Mill Bay Inn Internal. A bank of four handpumps features a glass front panel, and inside this is painted lettering: 'BURT'S ISLAND ALES'. JSe photo 2010 Picture

Isle of Wight

Corbould Ventnor Ventnor, High Street Blenheim Once owned by Corboulds, who were early owners of Burt's Brewery in Ventnor. The Corbould name still exists in mosaic on the floor outside the front entrance: 'CORBOULD ... WINE MERCHANT'. JSe photo 2002; SP 2004 Picture

Return to the Defunct Index Page