Brewery History Society

The Brewery History Society: Defunct Brewery Liveries



Cambridgeshire:
Defunct Brewery Livery

15 November 2020

Return to the Defunct Index Page

County Brewery Location Premises Description Contributors Photo?
Gone?

Cambridgeshire

E Lacon & Co Ltd Great Yarmouth Cambridge - Cherry Hinton, 503 Coldhams Lane Rosemary Branch (demolished) A modern rear extension had a ceramic plaque set into the wall with a falcon and 'LACONS' beneath. Also a Lacon's clock. Pub demolished by 2014 and the site redeveloped for flats. RFl 2003; BHK photo 2008; Google 2014 Picture
GONE

Cambridgeshire

Star Brewery (Cambridge) Ltd Cambridge Cambridge, 1 Corn Exchange Street Red Cow (former) Rebuilt by Star Brewery. On a corner cupola, leaded windows at high level feature the 'Star' logo. Several different names in recent years. BHK photo 2008 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Greene King, Cambridge (formerly Bailey & Tebbutt) Cambridge Cambridge, 11 Fair Street Hopbine Greene King plaque: 'FINE CAMBRIDGE ALES'. RFl 2003; WRB photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Greene King, Cambridge (formerly Bailey & Tebbutt) Cambridge Cambridge, 110 Newmarket Road Rose & Crown In the tympanum above the corner door, a Greene King plaque: 'FINE CAMBRIDGE ALES'. This pub was designed by Basil Oliver for Greene King. SP photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Wm Younger & Co Ltd Edinburgh Cambridge, 12 Regent Street Fountain Built in the 1930s by William Younger - a Tudor-style pub now much altered. The two rainwater heads feature the brewery monogram 'WY', and the downpipes are decorated with thistles. SP 2007 .

Cambridgeshire

E Lacon & Co Ltd Great Yarmouth Cambridge, 182 Victoria Road Carpenters Arms Above the front door, a plaque set into the wall with a falcon and 'LACONS' beneath. BHK photo 2008; Google 2019 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Bailey & Tebutt Ltd Cambridge Cambridge, 249 Newmarket Road Seven Stars (former) A 'B & T' logo beneath seven raised stars and above the pub name. The logo was once raised lettering, but has been chipped off. The pub was demolished in about 2015, and although rebuilt with much the same frontage (including the B&T logo), it appears that the logo was subsequently rendered over. RFl 2003; BHK photo 2008; Google 2015-2017 Picture
GONE

Cambridgeshire

Star Brewery (Cambridge) Ltd Cambridge Cambridge, 32 Chesterton Road Jolly Waterman On the front gable is a 'Star' logo. BHK photo 2008 Picture

Cambridgeshire

George Scales, exors of Cambridge Cambridge, 4 King Street Cambridge Arms (former) Large pub incorporating parts of the former Cambridge Brewery. Visible from the yard, painted on a wall at roof level, lettering: 'CAMBRIDGE BREWERY ... Estabd. 1866'. Now converted to a restaurant. RFl 2003; SP photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

E Lacon & Co Ltd & Frederick J Swan Cambridge Cambridge, 63 New Street Rodney Brewery Stores (former) A panel with lettering in relief: 'RODNEY STORES ... E. LACON & Co. Ltd. ... 1903'. At the rear of Frederick Swann's Rodney Brewery. (The Rodney Brewery pubs were sold to Lacons.) RFl 2003; BHK photo 2008 Picture

Cambridgeshire

E Lacon & Co Ltd Great Yarmouth Cambridge, 67 Norfolk Street Tailors Arms (former) A faded painted sign with the pub name (hardly visible) and 'LACONS ... Celebrated Yarmouth ... ALES & STOUT.'. After a few years as a shop, now converted to a house. RFl 2003; PCa photo 2008 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Greene King, Cambridge (formerly Bailey & Tebbutt) Cambridge Cambridge, 68 King Street Champion of the Thames Greene King plaque: 'FINE CAMBRIDGE ALES'. RFl 2003; WRB photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Greene King, Cambridge (formerly Bailey & Tebbutt) Cambridge Cambridge, 73 Newmarket Road Bird in Hand Greene King plaque: 'FINE CAMBRIDGE ALES'. RFl 2003; SP photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

E Lacon & Co Ltd Great Yarmouth Cambridge, 83 Mill Road Durham Ox (former) A tiled panel on the left-side gable wall, painted over with the former tiled lettering now barely visible: 'DURHAM OX ... LACONS ... ALES & SPIRITS'. The pub closed in about 2000 and has been converted to a takeaway shop. WRB photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Dale & Co Ltd Cambridge Cambridge, Gwydir Street Dale & Co's brewery (former) The brewery buildings survive and are used as an antiques centre. Along the roof, marvellous ironwork with lettering: 'DALE'S' along the front, 'DALE'S BREWERY' along each side. On the front elevation, a large projecting clock with 'DALES BEERS' on each face. SP photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Wells & Winch Ltd Biggleswade Cambridge, Gwydir Street Prince of Wales (former) Painted sign - 'Wells & Winch Ales'. Very weathered and reduced to a few patches of brown paint and requires imagination! RFl 2003 .

Cambridgeshire

Bailey & Tebutt Ltd Cambridge Cambridge, Mill Road White Swan Painted sign: 'B & T WINES & SPIRITS'. Covered by a modern sign. RFl 2003 .
OBSCURED

Cambridgeshire

Greene King, Cambridge (formerly Bailey & Tebbutt) Cambridge Cambridge, Prospect Row Free Press Greene King plaque: 'FINE CAMBRIDGE ALES'. RFl 2003; WRB photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Mann's (Watney-Mann subsidiary based in Norwich) Norwich Earith, High Street Crown A Mann's 'George and Dragon' logo above the pole sign. BHK 2012 .

Cambridgeshire

Hall Cutlack & Harlock Ltd Ely Ely, Annesdale Barlow Terrace: a row of cottages Plaque: 'BARLOW TERRACE ... HCH 1938'. The brewery built a number of houses for their workers. RFl 2003; BHK photo 2008 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Norwich Brewery Co (Watney subsidiary) (ex Morgan Brewery) Norwich Ely, West End West End House Square plaque on the frontage: 'THE NORWICH BREWERY CO - LOCAL BREWERS SINCE 1844'. The pub was previously owned by one of the Ely breweries. RFl 2003; SP 2004 .

Cambridgeshire

Henry Jeffrey Burt, Fenstanton Brewery Fenstanton Fenstanton, 33 High Street Fenstanton Brewery (former) The brewery buildings survive. A faded painted sign is just evident in a stone panel over the archway entrance. AH photo 2008 Picture

Cambridgeshire

J & J E Phillips Ltd Royston Gamlingay, 36 Mill Street Three Horse Shoes (former) Thought to have been owned by J & J E Phillips Ltd, Royston, but was converted to a house many years ago. It retains old painted signs. On the North side wall: 'ROYSTON ... FINE ALES ... BOTTLED STOUT'. On the front elevation, the pub name is just still visible on the gable; and at ground floor level, some alterations have been carried out, but a painted sign reads: 'ROYSTON ... FINE ... AND ... BOTTLED ... NOTED ... STOUT'. TrC 2016; Frank Esaw photo 2020 Picture

Cambridgeshire

E Lacon & Co Ltd Great Yarmouth Histon, 27 High Street Red Lion The right-side end wall features a large repainted sign at first floor level: 'The RED LION ... LACONíS ... YARMOUTH ALES' and two other Lacon's 'heritage' painted sigsn. On the left-side wall, a repainted roundel high on the gable displays a falcon and 'LACONS ... YARMOUTH BEERS'. The signs have been restored to a 1940s photograph on display in the bar. TN photo 2006; BHK photo 2008; Google 2019 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Mann's (Watney-Mann subsidiary based in Norwich) Norwich Houghton, The Green Three Horseshoes A Mann's 'George and Dragon' logo above the pole sign. BHK 2012 .

Cambridgeshire

Jenkins & Jones Ltd Huntingdon Huntingdon, 69 High Street Restaurant Formerly the offices for Jenkins & Jones brewery Ltd. Falcon at top of building (Falcon Brewery) and 'JJ' initials still remain. DCx photo 2009 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Day & Son St Neots Offord Cluny, High Street, corner of Station Lane Swan (former) A small stone tablet on the south gable end. It read 'D & S' but the 'S' appears to have been chipped off. Converted to residential use, but the tablet survives. RF 1978; Google 2014-2018 .

Cambridgeshire

Mann's (Watney-Mann subsidiary based in Norwich) Norwich Offord Darcy, 90 High Street Horseshoe A Mann's 'George and Dragon' logo above the hanging sign. BHK 2012 .

Cambridgeshire

Warwicks & Richardsons Ltd Newark-on-Trent Peterborough - Millfield, 12 Highbury Street Hand & Heart Two windows with lettering: 'WARWICKS' ' (including apostrophe). Both examples are modern replacement transfers to the original design, after damage to the originals. The etched side panes with 'NEWARK' and 'ALES' are original. SP 2002; SW 2003; KH photo 2006; WRB photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Hall Cutlack & Harlock Ltd Ely Peterborough, 2 Burghley Road Glass Onion A metal plate set into the pavement: 'H. C. & H. Ltd ... ELY ALES'. The premises now used as a shop. BHK 2008 .

Cambridgeshire

Hall Cutlack & Harlock Ltd Ely Peterborough, 45 Burghley Road A former licensed premises A metal plate set into the pavement: 'H. C. & H. Ltd ... ELY ALES'. The premises now used as a shop. BHK photo 2008 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Mann's (Watney-Mann subsidiary based in Norwich) Norwich Peterborough, 5 Park Street Coalheavers Arms The brewery tap to the Milton Brewery features a Mann's board sign on the frontage: the 'George & Dragon' trademark survives, but the MANNS lettering has been removed. WRB photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Whitbread - the national brewery conglemerate Peterborough, 585 Lincoln Road Blue Lagoon Above the hanging sign, an oval with 'WHITBREAD PLC ... 1742' around the brewery's 'deer' trademark, surrounded by hop leaf and barley decoration. BHK 2012 .

Cambridgeshire

Phipps & Co Ltd Northampton Peterborough, 60 Gladstone Street Mohamad's Fast Food Easily legible remains on the wall at first-floor level of a painted sign for 'PHIPPS' ... NORTHAMPTON ... ALES & STOUT'. Previously an off-licence. NB 2012 .

Cambridgeshire

Northampton Brewery Co Ltd Northampton Peterborough, Eastfield Road Cavendish - formerly Farmers Arms On the side wall within a diamond, raised lettering: 'NBC'. JL 2003; KH 2006; WRB photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Phipps & Co Ltd Northampton Peterborough, Vergette Street, corner of Bedford Street A former licensed premises A very faded painted sign at first floor level: 'PHIPPS ... NORTHAMPTON ... ALES & STOUT'. BHK photo 2008 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Edward V Sewell Ramsey Ramsey, Church Green Three Horse Shoes Three gables, each of which has a stone panel with a horseshoe emblem and a letter inside: 'E' 'S' and 'V'. The central panel also has the date 1891. Later to John Smith. SP 2004 .

Cambridgeshire

E Lacon & Co Ltd Great Yarmouth Sawston, 57 High Street Cross Keys (former) On the left side wall, a plaque with a falcon and 'LACONS' beneath - tiled surround. The building is used as a coffee shop, but the Lacon's plaque survives. DT 2006; BHK photo 2008; Google 2019 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Whitbread - the national brewery conglemerate St Neots, 11 Huntingdon Street Olde Sun Above the door is an oval plaque featuring the brewery's 'tankard' logo which includes the 'deer' trademark and a letter 'W'. There are also two modern oval plaques attached to the front wall; and mounted above the hanging sign, an oval with 'WHITBREAD PLC ... 1742' around the brewery's 'deer' trademark, surrounded by hop leaf and barley decoration. WRB photo 2011 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Ind Coope Ltd - Station Street, Burton-upon-Trent and Star Brewery, Romford St Neots, New Street Wrestlers An Ind Coope hanging sign with the Ind Coope 'Hand' trademark and '1856'. BHK 2006 .

Cambridgeshire

Dale & Co Ltd Cambridge Swavesey, 1 Market Street White Horse At first floor level, a large panel sign: 'DALE'S ... CHAMPION ... BEERS' and an image of a cup, the brewery's trade mark. Covered by a modern sign. RFl 2003; Swavesey CCAN photo Picture
OBSCURED

Cambridgeshire

Whitbread - the national brewery conglemerate West Wratting A former pub A Whitbread plaque with a tankard, from its days as a national brewer. WRB photo 2007 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Mann's (Watney-Mann subsidiary based in Norwich) Norwich Whittlesey, Market Place George Hotel A Mann's 'George and Dragon' logo above the hanging sign. SP 2008 .

Cambridgeshire

Greene King, Cambridge (formerly Bailey & Tebbutt) Cambridge Willingham, 1 Station Road Black Bull Greene King plaque: 'FINE CAMBRIDGE ALES'. RFl 2003 .

Cambridgeshire

Greene King, Cambridge (formerly Bailey & Tebbutt) Cambridge Willingham, Church Street Three Tuns Greene King plaque: 'FINE CAMBRIDGE ALES'. RFl 2003 .

Cambridgeshire

Oak Brewery Ltd Wisbech Wisbech, Leverington Road Oak Brewery (former) The frontage buildings of this former brewery still survive, with prominent painted lettering: 'THE OAK BREWERY SPIRIT VAULTS'. SP 2004; BHS photo Picture

Cambridgeshire

Bullard & Sons Ltd Norwich Wisbech, North Brink Wisbech Corn Exchange The Corn Exchange was a venue for music, bingo, etc. Facing a narrow street on the right hand side, an old painted sign: 'BULLARD & SONS LTD'. JSe photo 2014 Picture

Cambridgeshire

Mann's (Watney-Mann subsidiary based in Norwich) Norwich Yaxley, 106 Main Street Royal Oak A Mann's 'George and Dragon' logo above the pole sign; also painted on a board sign. BHK 2012 .

Return to the Defunct Index Page