The Brewery History Society: Breweries
London SE1 - Bermondsey, Horselydown: Courage & Co Ltd, former Anchor Brewery
Courage & Co Ltd, Anchor Brewery, Horselydown, Bermondsey SE1. Acquired by John Courage in 1787. Registered in April 1888. Merged with Barclay, Perkins & Co Ltd in 1955 to form Courage & Barclay Ltd. Merged with H & G Simonds in 1960 to form Courage, Barclay & Simonds Ltd. Name changed to Courage (Eastern) Ltd in October 1970. Acquired by the Imperial Tobacco Group Ltd in August 1972. The Anchor Brewery was closed in 1981 and brewing was transferred to Worton Grange, Reading. The Imperial Group was acquired by the Hanson Trust in 1986 who sold Courage as a separate concern to Elders IXL. Courage took over all of the Grand Metropolitan breweries in exchange for the Courage public houses which were run by a jointly owned company, Inntrepreneur Estates. Courage were sold to Scottish & Newcastle to become Scottish Courage. The Brewhouse is now riverside residential apartments.
A Century of British Brewers Plus - 1890 to 2004. Brewery History Society, 2005.
View from Tower Bridge:
BHS members inspect the Courage Brewery: